Blizzard Entertainment Planning A Linux Game For 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aironeous View Post
    Holy crap that was exactly what I did not want to hear again for the thousandth time^
    One ....more......time...
    I don't care if the CEO himself is a panda, get it out of the game, it does not belong in the genre.
    I don't care if god himself is a panda and we are all pandas inside and the cartoon movie called kung fu pandas was never made it is still a retarded character and the very very very last choice that should have ever been made and most stupidest and most childish like character you could ever choose.
    If there was no kung fu panda movie someone would have thought of it (as a doll, cartoon, tv show, something) anyways because the animal is a kiddy cutie icon that does not belong in the genre as a playable character warrior period.
    It does not belong!
    Next expansion - hello kitty class
    Strawberry shortcake death knights
    My little pony mounts

NO!!!! Stop it now!
    For a game you don't play and don't care about, you sure seem to care about it an awful lot.

Comment

I have to correct myself. I did a nother run of strings ont he exe's and StarCraft is the one with no linux references. Nor do I find any apple or osx references. Diable 3 does have osx and linux references:

strings Diablo\ III.exe | grep -i linux
      Linux
      All Linux

strings Diablo\ III.exe | grep -i cache
      Data_D3\PC\MPQs\Cache\%s\%s-%s%s.MPQ
      Data_D3\PC\MPQs\Cache\OSX\%s-%s%s.MPQ
      Data_D3\PC\MPQs\Cache\Win\%s-%s%s.MPQ
      Data_D3\PC\MPQs\Cache\base\%s-%s%s.MPQ

strings Wow-64.exe | grep -i linuxLinux
      IsLinuxClient

Is64BitClient
      IsLinuxClient
      IsMacClient
      IsWindowsClient

Comment

who cares if companies target ubuntu?

it's not like packages for every distro under the sun aren't going to be made available by the community in under a week anyway.

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard just release SC2, Diablo 3, and WoW on Linux at the same time since Sam Latinga (creator of SDL) was directly involved in developing most of their game engines wouldn't be a stretch to think they have Linux native clients of those three games. Most likely Warcraft 3 would be the only one left out.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
            Wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard just release SC2, Diablo 3, and WoW on Linux at the same time since Sam Latinga (creator of SDL) was directly involved in developing most of their game engines wouldn't be a stretch to think they have Linux native clients of those three games. Most likely Warcraft 3 would be the only one left out.
            I'd love to see that not for myself but it would be a pretty cool contribution to the Linux World.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Speaking for myself, I choose nvidia because it works.
              And NVIDIA is what you should pick if you want Open Source drivers to catch up. If developers code against standard OpenGL 3/4 instructions on the feature-complete NVIDIA driver, lack of that support becomes bugs on all other drivers in the ecosystem.

Developers should code for the highest common denominator in this case so that the lack of GPU features become prioritized bugs in Open Source driver development.

OTOH, NVIDIA should be more of a community member and participate in nouveau driver development. They could could greatly help by providing documentation on power states/ clock frequency adjustment and other basic, low level initialization. If NVIDIA would commit to bringing Nouveau to feature-complete power management and 2D acceleration for each generation I'd imagine the community would respond a little better to them.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedogs View Post
                it's not like packages for every distro under the sun aren't going to be made available by the community in under a week anyway.
                Indeed. They're even managing it with Steam which is rather difficult at the moment, but Blizzard games are very portable. You can move them around your Windows or OS X directories at will and it still works just fine. Just tarball the darn thing and turn it into whichever package format you like in seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
                  And NVIDIA is what you should pick if you want Open Source drivers to catch up.
                  No. You should send bugs about opensource driver problems, send donations or send hardware.

Because, if you want Africa to catch up, you don't buy Japanese products, you buy African products to stimulate the economy.

The time poll comes and 90% of users have nvidia claiming "help opensource, buy nvidia", opensource will be completely ignored further on.

Your phrase is like "kill for peace", I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    So they will port an already released game? Fine.

It's getting tiresome to read this with every major announcement of a Linux port. :/
                    I really don't see the problem here. I would MUCH RATHER have "Supported on Windows/Mac/Ubuntu" than "Supported on Windows/Mac".
                    Besides, the gaming on Linux have JUST started! And they have to start somewhere...!?
                    Starting with Ubuntu ... which have a large userbase, lots of distros based on Ubuntu, and a company with money in their back... it is a natural choice to start with Ubuntu.
                    And I find it extremely weird that I would see a complaint about announcements about games coming to Linux. Shouldn't we be happy about that? I certainly am.

AND if Blizz really does release WoW for Linux (Ubuntu), I might just start playing it. Simply to throw some money in their faces, no other reason
                    And I would do it with a smile

Comment

Originally posted by Shahrizai View Post
                      I really don't see the problem here. I would MUCH RATHER have "Supported on Windows/Mac/Ubuntu" than "Supported on Windows/Mac".
                      Besides, the gaming on Linux have JUST started! And they have to start somewhere...!?
                      Starting with Ubuntu ... which have a large userbase, lots of distros based on Ubuntu, and a company with money in their back... it is a natural choice to start with Ubuntu.
                      And I find it extremely weird that I would see a complaint about announcements about games coming to Linux. Shouldn't we be happy about that? I certainly am.
                      We are happy about that, but this is not the start of gaming on Linux and the problem here is that Blizzard is buying into a delusion which has been dismissed for well over a decade. Other gaming companies have been supporting Linux for years without resorting to these half-measures, and they have a lot less resources than Blizzard does. Look into the history of Linux gaming and you will see it is not technical problems such as their being multiple distros or this idea that free drivers are somehow going to prevent people from playing their games (not directed at you), it is in fact our relative lack of buying power. Please, look into the history of Linux gaming and you will see that Blizzard is being just as ignorant about this as you are (and please do not take that as an insult).

Also, the fact you described Canonical as a company with money, considering their major problem is their inability to make a profit...
                      Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 12 January 2013, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X