Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: First Statistics On Steam Linux Usage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,837

    Default First Statistics On Steam Linux Usage

    Phoronix: First Statistics On Steam Linux Usage

    Valve has released their December Steam statistics that show initial data on Linux client usage...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2NzQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    762

    Default

    A healthy chuck of Linux Users is probably part of the 0,71 % Other OS. If you look at the "What's your current Distro and Desktop Enviroment"- Thread which has way almost 2000 posts there are craploads of Mint, Fedora and Arch Users in there. Mint also is recognized as seperate OS in the "System Information" and not declared as Ubuntu. It's unlikely that non of the other distros beat 12.10 32-Bit in terms of market share.
    Last edited by blackout23; 01-05-2013 at 12:40 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    916

    Default

    I have a few questions:

    I guess those values are averaged over a certain time.

    1. When did Valve take the data?
    2. What about other Linux distros?
    3. How do you come up with the 1% value if you don't have further information?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    I suspect that when it goes out of beta and more games are available it will rise dramatically.The fact is that right now alot of games that are available on steam and ARE ported to linux are not available on steam. They need to fix that. If it has a linux client then they need to make it available to linux users. That will do a ton to help. They can't sell something that they dont offer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    When did Valve take the data?
    December 2012
    What about other Linux distros?
    Not listed.
    How do you come up with the 1% value if you don't have further information?
    Simple math? Have you even checked the steam statistic side? Cause all your questions are answered there.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    A healthy chuck of Linux Users is probably part of the 0,71 % Other OS.
    While I would love this I don't think so. If you have a look at the numbers (percentage vs. change) you see that all Ubuntu numbers came from 0. For Other OS it is 0.71 percentage but only 0.14 change, so this 0.14 is the max of linux users (while I would guess it's more like 0.04).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    Simple math? Have you even checked the steam statistic side? Cause all your questions are answered there.
    Oh well, I missed the 'OS' item is clickable.
    Should've read that statistics page more carefully, indeed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    While I would love this I don't think so. If you have a look at the numbers (percentage vs. change) you see that all Ubuntu numbers came from 0. For Other OS it is 0.71 percentage but only 0.14 change, so this 0.14 is the max of linux users (while I would guess it's more like 0.04).
    How do you know that it is 0.14 max? That would mean besides the Linux users, nothing has changed for "Other OS". Do you really think, that's the case?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    144

    Talking

    There are more Linux users than Windows XP 64Bit users

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    I suspect that when it goes out of beta and more games are available it will rise dramatically.The fact is that right now alot of games that are available on steam and ARE ported to linux are not available on steam. They need to fix that. If it has a linux client then they need to make it available to linux users. That will do a ton to help. They can't sell something that they dont offer.
    I suspect the same. 1% while there's only beta and few games is a very good result!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Having Steam on Linux is a good start but without major games I don't think Steam will change the picture significantly. Also I wonder how non-Ubuntu distributions will affect the numbers and how exactly does (or did) Valve count Steam on Wine?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •