Fedora 18 Has Been Delayed Once More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    Rawhide, Fedora development, is a rolling release.

On Fedora 18 TC3, the installer functionally is improved. On the plus side, the hub system gives an user a preview of configuration free to edit. Concerning the partition, developers acknowledge the difficulty to design the layout and the oversight for neglecting upgrade from existing partition. So far, these issue are improving. Let's not forget the release early, release often.

Concerning the delay of F18, remember that Fedora 5 was one of few release with 9 months of development due to major change of infrastructure. Considering the change of board,
    mistakes happen which is part of learning experience.

Yea, but rawhide is development version. We would like a rolling release as a 'stable' version.

Comment

Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
      Yea, but rawhide is development version. We would like a rolling release as a 'stable' version.
      Fuduntu is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        Fuduntu is one of them.
        Fuduntu is not Fedora, its custom distro, that happens to be rolling release.

Comment

Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
          I think rolling release as as "stable" version is essentially somewhat a self contradictory request. Rolling releases are by definition very fluid and they do require manual intervention or extra maintenance from time to time simply because the latest versions are sometimes not the most stable versions and take time to test and mature in the real world and users who want the very latest sometimes have to suffer through some amount of issues and probably are willing to go through that hassle. There is an effort to make Rawhide more usable and reduce the level of breakages there to serve partly the audience that wants rolling release but mostly in the idea that development versions being more usable would invite more testers to provide early feedback and subsequently make the actual stable releases .... more "stable".

Fedora, I don't think really has the resources to maintain one more branch to satisfy the users who want a rolling release and a rolling release does not seem to be want all the users or even majority of Fedora users want . So within the resource contraints and in the interest of Fedora as a community, I think focusing on Rawhide for now makes better sense.

Comment

I has upgraded my fedora 17 to 18 using FedUP and preugrade online plus i have the unstable kde repo enabled wich automatically installed kde 4.10 RC all and all was a pleasant update, all i had to do was to remove old .kde config file in /home directory. And today i just received update to latest 3.7 kernel.In my experience fedora is almost like semi-rolling distro i dont know other distro that updates kernel so often.I myself did enough distro hopping but i like fedora for bleeding edge software the provides. And i only speak for myself in my experience on my hardware is pretty stable, no crashes to make my system unbootable, kde runs very well, small memory footprint on my AMD thinkpad edge13. So i myself recomend http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp. In closing for me fedora is the best of both world cutting edge enough and fast kernel updates and not boring at all.

Comment

Originally posted by adriankx View Post
              I has upgraded my fedora 17 to 18 using FedUP and preugrade online plus i have the unstable kde repo enabled wich automatically installed kde 4.10 RC all and all was a pleasant update, all i had to do was to remove old .kde config file in /home directory. And today i just received update to latest 3.7 kernel.In my experience fedora is almost like semi-rolling distro i dont know other distro that updates kernel so often.I myself did enough distro hopping but i like fedora for bleeding edge software the provides. And i only speak for myself in my experience on my hardware is pretty stable, no crashes to make my system unbootable, kde runs very well, small memory footprint on my AMD thinkpad edge13. So i myself recomend http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp. In closing for me fedora is the best of both world cutting edge enough and fast kernel updates and not boring at all.
              Fedora itself is not a rolling release distro, but they switched the kernel to be on rolling release, has maintenance of multiple kernel was getting too troublesome.

Comment

If you want "stable rolling release" (as far as that is even possible), Arch is probably the most popular choice.
                If you want unstable rolling release, there's Fedora Rawhide.
                Everyone should be served with this, I don't get why people are still demanding more than that??

Comment

well what i ment is that on ubuntu i always had to use ppa`s for kernel updates and as i see it fedora updates packages more often, and that`s a thing i was looking for.i don`t mind adding a few repos googling a little if something doesnt work properly like my sound card couse there is a known workaround the problem is the same in all distros. In my opinion for a bleeding edge distro its pretty stable on my hardware so i am really satisfied plus i like the vanilla kde experience that fedora provides.

Comment

Best graphical installer I've ever used is OpenSUSE - really polished... I haven't bothered trying Fedora for many years - but they could certainly take a leaf out of the SUSE camp...

Comment

I definitely appreciate the fact that Fedora keeps the Kernel relatively up to date, as it means I do not need to wait forever to get graphics driver updates.

Comment

Working...
                      X