Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 18 Has Been Delayed Once More

Phoronix: Fedora 18 Has Been Delayed Once More

Fedora 18 has been delayed by one week following a Go/No-Go meeting on Thursday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not simply skip fedora 18, and release fedora 19 on time? I mean it has been delayed for half the cycle already.

Comment

Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
      Why not simply skip fedora 18, and release fedora 19 on time? I mean it has been delayed for half the cycle already.
      Fedora 19 is not delayed by fedora 18, it just mean 18 will be supported for a shorter amount of time once release.

Comment

I prefer Fedora over Ubuntu (used to rpm from way back) and run F17 currently. Today I tried the F18 beta... what a disaster! That is, the system is fine I guess, but the new installer is a joke! Reading the reasoning for the new Anaconda installer and then seeing what they've done, it's scary how much they contradict them selves. The whitespace is even worse now, the "Hub" system is not better in any way, the usability is worse and the partitioner makes me doubt what I'm supposed to do (and is so crashy!). Maybe it is a better foundation code wise, but I am so disappointed that this installer is the reason for all the delays.

I'll skip F18 because of this and won't recommend it, and probably take a long break from Fedora when I'm done with F17. Not that my opinion matters to the Fedora/RH people, but damn this direction they are taking, the reasoning and execution, very incompetent IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
          I prefer Fedora over Ubuntu (used to rpm from way back) and run F17 currently. Today I tried the F18 beta... what a disaster! That is, the system is fine I guess, but the new installer is a joke! Reading the reasoning for the new Anaconda installer and then seeing what they've done, it's scary how much they contradict them selves. The whitespace is even worse now, the "Hub" system is not better in any way, the usability is worse and the partitioner makes me doubt what I'm supposed to do (and is so crashy!). Maybe it is a better foundation code wise, but I am so disappointed that this installer is the reason for all the delays.

I'll skip F18 because of this and won't recommend it, and probably take a long break from Fedora when I'm done with F17. Not that my opinion matters to the Fedora/RH people, but damn this direction they are taking, the reasoning and execution, very incompetent IMO.
          I think they should have postponed new installer till fedora 19 and released fedora 18 on schedule. Instead they decided to postpone whole release, to include something that is rushed, buggy, unpolished. Not a terribly good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

I was distro-hopping a lot lately and finally settled with Fedora 17 yesterday. To my surprise, Gnome Shell isn't as bad as people make it out to be. In fact, I quite like it. (Please don't hit me :-D)
            I used to run Arch Linux with testing repo enabled, so I was living on the bleeding bleeding edge, but what I'm hearing about Fedora development is really scary.

Comment

I've been with fedora since fedora core 4, so I've been thru few failures. I don't think shitty installer would prevent me from f18, but I will try debian today

Comment

Rolling release.....

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Rolling release.....
                  +1 ... Fedora being on the cutting edge is perfectly good to take this market spot. Arch can be the rolling for the bleeding edge types

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Rolling release.....
                    Rawhide, Fedora development, is a rolling release.

Originally posted by numasan
                    That is, the system is fine I guess, but the new installer is a joke! Reading the reasoning for the new Anaconda installer and then seeing what they've done, it's scary how much they contradict them selves. The whitespace is even worse now, the "Hub" system is not better in any way, the usability is worse and the partitioner makes me doubt what I'm supposed to do (and is so crashy!). Maybe it is a better foundation code wise, but I am so disappointed that this installer is the reason for all the delays.
                    On Fedora 18 TC3, the installer functionally is improved. On the plus side, the hub system gives an user a preview of configuration free to edit. Concerning the partition, developers acknowledge the difficulty to design the layout and the oversight for neglecting upgrade from existing partition. So far, these issue are improving. Let's not forget the release early, release often.

Concerning the delay of F18, remember that Fedora 5 was one of few release with 9 months of development due to major change of infrastructure. Considering the change of board,
                    mistakes happen which is part of learning experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X