Nouveau Driver Remains Much Slower Than NVIDIA's Official Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Damn! The xorg devs really are fucking morons. I suspected them to be but I always thought that because they write code they can't be too stupid. Looks like you really can be really good at doing something while being a total retard. Total lack of care for the end user....
    Why does a reference to proprietary 3rd party x86-only-binary drivers need to be upstream?

Something like that has been in arch since mid 2011.

Comment

Damn! The xorg devs really are fucking morons.
      So, after Linux devs, now xorg devs are also morons. Everybody who makes your software is a moron.

What do you call a user using software written by morons then?

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
        Even on 2D operations like redraw window contents during window resize, the open source drivers drag.
        painting a window and resizing it at the same time is not a trivial operation, in fact its bloody complicated and needs lots of bandwidth

also you can all bash on OSS drivers but the truth is if they dont suit you either dont use them or get your hands dirty
        complaining on some forum or another is useless and annoying

if you are not suited to code them, like i am not, best you can do is file bug reports (ofc check if your setup is good and if the bug is already filed)
        Last edited by gens; 07 January 2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

There's still a bit truth to it. Try using the window management a bit with a geforce 6600 (!) and xfce, even with compositing. It just feels right.

Comment

The fact that I am using code written by morons says nothing about me.
            sure it does
            on many levels

but honestly for one of the main xorg devs to take so long to realize that everything should be a buffer tells a couple things too

Comment

poor performance of nvidia driver in my laptop

as phoronix tests show, Nvidia binary driver is much better than nouveau for all nvidia graphic cards. but i have a strange problem with nvidia binary driver in my laptop (hp pavilion dv2500 with NVIDIA Geforce 8400m GS card).

the problem is that my laptop works good with nouveau driver in ubuntu 12.04 with unity 2d; but when i activate nvidia binary driver to enhance the performance and to use unity 3d, the performance shrinks severely, in fact, performance of my laptop with nvidia driver is much weaker than nouveau. for example when i run "glxgears" command in ubuntu with nouveau driver, the resaults are almost between 320 to 420 but if i run same command when nvidia binary driver is activated, the resaults shrink severely and are almost between 50 to 63. i had this problem in both ubuntu and befor that in openSUSE. also i tried different versions of Nvidia binary drivers but the problem exist with all of them.

i tried to solve this problem with asking about it in ubuntu forums (here), openSUSE forums (here) and many other linux forums but unfortunately i found nothing useful.

So, here is my last chance to find what is the problem with my graphic card and how solve that. please help me.
              thank you.

Comment

poor performance of nvidia driver in my laptop

as phoronix tests show, Nvidia binary driver is much better than nouveau for all nvidia graphic cards. but i have a strange problem with nvidia binary driver in my laptop (hp pavilion dv2500 with NVIDIA Geforce 8400m GS card).

the problem is that my laptop works good with nouveau driver in ubuntu 12.04 with unity 2d; but when i activate nvidia binary driver to enhance the performance and to use unity 3d, the performance shrinks severely, in fact, performance of my laptop with nvidia driver is much weaker than nouveau. for example when i run "glxgears" command in ubuntu with nouveau driver, the resaults are almost between 320 to 420 but if i run same command when nvidia binary driver is activated, the resaults shrink severely and are almost between 50 to 63. i had this problem in both ubuntu and befor that in openSUSE. also i tried different versions of Nvidia binary drivers but the problem exist with all of them.

i tried to solve this problem with asking about it in ubuntu forums (here), openSUSE forums (here) and many other linux forums but unfortunately i found nothing useful.

So, here is my last chance to find what is the problem with my graphic card and how solve that. please help me.
                thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAli View Post
                  . for example when i run "glxgears" command in ubuntu with nouveau driver, the resaults are almost between 320 to 420 but if i run same command when nvidia binary driver is activated, the resaults shrink severely and are almost between 50 to 63.
                  Do you see performance drop elsewhere (e.g. choppy games)? glxgears is not a benchmark and can't be used to give even a rough comparison between different drivers. In your case it looks like it might be syncing with your screen refresh rate (VSYNC).

Comment

Originally posted by MrAli View Post

thank you.
                    What misiu_mp says. And using unity 3d will effect performance, are there any difference when using binary plop in unity 2d?

And make sure that you are really using binary driver: glxinfo | grep -i -A 5 -B 5 NVIDIA

Oh and what version of driver are you using: cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
                    There was performance issues at least some of 295.xx branch drivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by tuke81
                      What misiu_mp says. And using unity 3d will effect performance, are there any difference when using binary plop in unity 2d?
                      And make sure that you are relly using binary driver: glxinfo | grep -i -A 5 -B 5 NVIDIA
                      Oh and what version of driver are you using: cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
                      There was performance issues at least some of 295.xx branch drivers.
                      Originally posted by misiu_mp
                      Do you see performance drop elsewhere (e.g. choppy games)? glxgears is not a benchmark and can't be used to give even a rough comparison between different drivers. In your case it looks like it might be syncing with your screen refresh rate (VSYNC).
                      i have this problem in both unity 2d and 3d. also i had same problem in openSUSE and KDE. i tried many nvidia binary versions 173, 295, 304 etc but the problem did not solve.

Comment

Working...
                      X