No announcement yet.

Windows is dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

also...

Originally posted by nixcraft View Post
    Nice Gif friend.

friend

friend

friend

friend

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      Thanks, that just *made* my day

Comment

Windows IS about to die.

As for me, Windows about to die and MS about to lose their leading position in industry. In fact they already not at the edge of progress and rather trying to catch up with apple, google, etc and it looks quite lame and crappy. And in futile attempt to catch up with mobile markets they're risking to lose PC market.

And well, if someone have to resort to "secure" boot (which is better described as restricted boot) - they clearly have a problems. You see, in the normal market situation you do not need a bunch of fascist guardians with a gun to make customers "happy". If someone have to resort to lockouts and restrictions, this is clearly indicates that business model is wrecked and would not last for a while. It's hard to be happy when someone points gun on your face and requires you to be "happy".
        Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 03 March 2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
          I find the quoted comment to be funny. An old lady at my church sent me a recipe recently as an odt file. So we don't need no .docx support. No I did not setup anything on her computer for her.
          Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          +1 how true. To avoid incompatibilities with older or other office apps, use ISO standardized *.odt documents.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ms%20office%20odt%20plugin
          The amount of ignorance I deduce from the tone of both of your response's makes me believe we are no longer discussing this issue based on facts. But merely on emotions who find their roots in a somewhat religious (or stubborn?) conviction in open standards.

May I remind the both of you that docx (and friends) are a standard (link!) as well.

Furthermore, the pracitical usablility of using a .odt plugin is near nil. Think of enterprise environments where the user has no right to install these kind of plugins.

Let me know if I'm wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            May I remind the both of you that docx (and friends) are a standard (link!) as well.
            A standard that Microsoft Office itself did not comply with until Office 2013.
            Previous versions of Microsoft Office are NOT read/write compatible with OOXML standards.

It's a pretty good reason why ".docx" support in Libreoffice/others is so shaky, because it's a proprietary filetype and not OOXML. Typical vendor lockin.
            Last edited by peppercats; 04 March 2013, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              A standard that MicroSuck Office itself did not comply with until Office 2013.
              The standard has several revisions. Maybe that explains it. Bad thing though.

Previous versions of MicroSuck Office are NOT read/write compatible with OOXML standards.
              That qualifies as an argument for a company excersising monopoly power and lobbying. But, I think my Office 2007 Service Pack 2 carried an update specifically for this.

It's a pretty good reason why ".docx" support in Libreoffice/others is so shaky, because it's a proprietary filetype and not OOXML. Typical vendor lockin.
              Well, could be. Another reason is the fact that according to wikipedia the standard is 6000 pages!

Comment

Furthermore, the pracitical usablility of using a .odt plugin is near nil. Think of enterprise environments where the user has no right to install these kind of plugins.

Let me know if I'm wrong...
                Sure. You are. My bog standard MS Office 2010 installation here at work can save as .odt out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                  Sure. You are. My bog standard MS Office 2010 installation here at work can save as .odt out of the box.
                  My bog standard MS Office 2007 can save .ods as well out of the box. How well? Something like this:

A1 contains '=C1+D1'
                  C1 and D1 both contain an integer. I choose 3 and 8 respectively.

'Save as' > 'Different format' > 'Scrolls all the way down past .pdf, .csv(!), .txt(!) to .ods' > Click: 'Opendocument Spreadsheet (*.ods)' > 'Save' > Warning Map1 possibly contains functions that are not compatible with this format. Do you want to continue?

What, summation? Incompatible? hmmz... Reopening did made it work though. Now, the other way around.

Create same spreadsheet with Libreoffice with a new file. Open with Excel > 'No title 1.ods' contains unreadable content. Restore? > Yes > The file has been opened after unreadable content is restored or deleted..

A1 contains 11
                  C1 contains 3
                  D1 contains 8

My freakin' formula is gone. And don't you dare to have the guts to tell me to upgrade.

This is Ubuntu Quatzal (12.10) with Office 2007 SP2 under wine 1.5.25-0ubuntu1 from the wine ppa.

My point: Microsoft has in no remote way the intention to make this work correcly at any point or time in space. Bye bye good working standard.
                  Last edited by Rexilion; 04 March 2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

My bog standard MS Office 2007 can save .ods as well out of the box. How well? Something like this:

A1 contains '=C1+D1'
                    C1 and D1 both contain an integer. I choose 3 and 8 respectively.

'Save as' > 'Different format' > 'Scrolls all the way down past .pdf, .csv(!), .txt(!) to .ods' > Click: 'Opendocument Spreadsheet (*.ods)' > 'Save' > Warning Map1 possibly contains functions that are not compatible with this format. Do you want to continue?

What, summation? Incompatible? hmmz... Reopening did made it work though. Now, the other way around.

Create same spreadsheet with Libreoffice with a new file. Open with Excel > 'No title 1.ods' contains unreadable content. Restore? > Yes > The file has been opened after unreadable content is restored or deleted..

A1 contains 11
                    C1 contains 3
                    D1 contains 8

My freakin' formula is gone. And don't you dare to have the guts to tell me to upgrade.

This is Ubuntu Quatzal (12.10) with Office 2007 SP2 under wine 1.5.25-0ubuntu1 from the wine ppa.

My point: Microsoft has in no remote way the intention to make this work correcly at any point or time in space. Bye bye good working standard.
                    Sure I have. MS Office 2010 does work, I just checked. But you can off course also upgrade to Libreoffice

Comment

True
                      I totally agree with you . I am also facing so many problems with windows

Comment

Working...
                      X