Windows is dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
    Boy, you are all missing the boat entirely: Desktops and laptops are dead; Long live Tablets and Smartphones.

Point being, business is moving to virtualize everything. That .exe file? Its going to kick of a VM thats basically a reduced version of windows specifically optimized for that one app. Same for other OS's. Everything is going to be a virtual instance of an OS.

Point being: Every OS is going to be more or less obsolete within a decade as far as the end user is concerned. The real battle will be between the best VM, not the best OS.
    Yes, taking developments further by stripping the full hardware emulation for each program and letting programs use the same virtual hardware if applicable. Which will eventually be reduced to just one piece of virtual hardware that directly interfaces with the physical hardware (driver, anyone?) and what do you get after years of painstaking development and billions of dollars?

Yes, a Unix system composed of multiple processes handled by a conventional VM -> (Virtual Memory) system.

Comment

old software never dies...

it's like radioactive decay in that it has a half-life. It's usage will continue to decrease by half every X years. There are still COBOL systems out there with old guys maintaining them, and that will be true for Windoze in 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
        no moonlight (school websites rely on it, really...
        Moonlight has always been on linux. Silverlight has also been deprecated.

no 3D accel
        Nearly every card has 3d accel in linux.

no proper clipboard (as in Windows)
        I really don't get that one. I find the clipboard in KDE far more powerful then windows.

unsupported Epson printers
        Epson printers have excellent support in linux.

scanning (goes through Xsane which I can work with but it's not really user friendly)
        Scanning in linux probably supports more scanners then any one version of windows. I haven't been able to use my Umax wide scanner or my hand scanner in any windows since Win 98. Still work perfectly in linux.

All in all, I have more "dead windows" product that still continues to function perfectly in linux.
        Last edited by deanjo; 07 January 2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Really??

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Moonlight has always been on linux. Silverlight has also been deprecated.
          Development stalled, plugin is no more distributed by the distro's that I use (Gentoo and Ubuntu). And if the plugin works, it's old.

Nearly every card has 3d accel in linux.
          GMA500? nVidia blob and ati blob are continous source of trouble. The OSS alternatives have yet to catch up though.

I really don't get that one. I find the clipboard in KDE far more powerful then windows.
          Copy something, close the source app. Selection gone. Copying a picture from Gimp to Libreoffice: no.

Epson printers have excellent support in linux.
          This thread starter, disagrees. It's patented. You do not have this issue in Windows.

And I'm worried about the new wireless printers, whether if those work under Cups or not. Have not seen any positive reports about it.

Scanning in linux probably supports more scanners then any one version of windows. I haven't been able to use my Umax wide scanner or my hand scanner in any windows since Win 98. Still work perfectly in linux.
          Xsane is not user friendly. Ever looked at the HP Scanner software?

All in all, I have more "dead windows" product that still continues to function perfectly in linux.
          Flacky .docx support won't bring you anywhere if you have a fully functional '80's printer.

Comment

Really??
            Development stalled, plugin is no more distributed by the distro's that I use (Gentoo and Ubuntu). And if the plugin works, it's old.
            One of the biggest reasons it stalled was because MS deprecated Silverlight with Windows 8. It's a dead end.

GMA500? nVidia blob and ati blob are continous source of trouble. The OSS alternatives have yet to catch up though.
            The binaries work just as well as their windows counterparts and have for years. The GMA-500 is a troublesome product that is true but it is also troublesome in Windows 8 and people are forced to install the Windows 7 drivers in there. Meanwhile I can still pull out the old Geforce 4800 Ti and use it in linux. Something that can't be done in Windows 8.

Copy something, close the source app. Selection gone. Copying a picture from Gimp to Libreoffice: no.
            Works for me.

This thread starter, disagrees. It's patented. You do not have this issue in Windows.

And I'm worried about the new wireless printers, whether if those work under Cups or not. Have not seen any positive reports about it.
            I have several Epson printers ranging from an Epson 500 to a newer Workforce 520 at home and about 15 different models @ work that all work perfectly. Everything works perfectly fine. Wireless- yup, scanning - yup, faxing - yup, printing - yup, ocr - yup. BTW, as far as the patent and not being able to ship with it goes. For nearly every epson printer you also have to download the driver for Windows as well. No OOTB functionality in Windows.

Xsane is not user friendly. Ever looked at the HP Scanner software?
            Use one of the many many many alternative front ends to sane. Xsane is just one such front end. One such alternative is iScan for the Epson scanners which is the type of UI you are looking for.

Flacky .docx support won't bring you anywhere if you have a fully functional '80's printer.
            Never had need to use docx. Either way if I did I still would not be able to print it on the wide carriage BJC-5000 unless I was running Windows 2000 or older. (Canon brought out the identical printer as the BJC-5100 in which they only changed the drivers being compatible with XP. Also I still can use my MX-500 mouse in it's full 800 DPI capability where I cannot in windows as they stopped supporting the hidpi option after Vista was released.
            Last edited by deanjo; 07 January 2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

As they say in my country: Bad weed never dies -.- .

Windows is suffering, GNU/Linux among other desktop OS alternatives has been growing too fast, going from emulated or alternative programs to full, well designed and secure software that can compete with any propietary one.

Only the alliances, money and marketing can save Windows from it's own collapse.

Comment

Originally posted by Otamay View Post
                Only the alliances, money and marketing can save Windows from it's own collapse.
                And that is why I consider it a good thing that HP is jumping the boat as mentioned in this thread earlier.

One of the biggest reasons it stalled was because MS deprecated Silverlight with Windows 8. It's a dead end.
                Not for end users who are still depended on it's functionality.

The binaries work just as well as their windows counterparts and have for years. The GMA-500 is a troublesome product that is true but it is also troublesome in Windows 8 and people are forced to install the Windows 7 drivers in there. Meanwhile I can still pull out the old Geforce 4800 Ti and use it in linux. Something that can't be done in Windows 8.
                Yes, it might work. But what about 3D accel? Is that card even capable of rendering modern web pages? Running vintage hardware is not a direct concern of those using Windows.

Works for me.
                I'm curious about that, point taken.

I have several Epson printers ranging from an Epson 500 to a newer Workforce 520 at home and about 15 different models @ work that all work perfectly. Everything works perfectly fine. Wireless- yup, scanning - yup, faxing - yup, printing - yup, ocr - yup. BTW, as far as the patent and not being able to ship with it goes. For nearly every epson printer you also have to download the driver for Windows as well. No OOTB functionality in Windows.
                Good to hear. Is it easy to setup? Does that work fully with CUPS? Or do you need to 'fiddle'?

Use one of the many many many alternative front ends to sane. Xsane is just one such front end. One such alternative is iScan for the Epson scanners which is the type of UI you are looking for.
                Ubuntu does not have that. Is that Epson only?

Never had need to use docx. Either way if I did I still would not be able to print it on the wide carriage BJC-5000 unless I was running Windows 2000 or older. (Canon brought out the identical printer as the BJC-5100 in which they only changed the drivers being compatible with XP. Also I still can use my MX-500 mouse in it's full 800 DPI capability where I cannot in windows as they stopped supporting the hidpi option after Vista was released.
                What is the use of running Linux if you still need Windows software? It still requires the maintainence and hassle. (Hope I understood this part correctly). Full 800 DPI is not really a dealbreaker for most users though.

Comment

Not for end users who are still depended on it's functionality.
                  And really your school should be looking at replacing that framework as it will no longer function on items such as WinRT because again MS has stopped development and as we all know as something gets deprecated less and less effort is put forth to maintain it both for compatibility and security.

Yes, it might work. But what about 3D accel? Is that card even capable of rendering modern web pages? Running vintage hardware is not a direct concern of those using Windows.
                  Yes it works absolutely find with 3D accel and is perfectly capable of rendering modern web pages.

Good to hear. Is it easy to setup? Does that work fully with CUPS? Or do you need to 'fiddle'?
                  Installed the RPM's and away she went in openSUSE. Full cups control as well.

Ubuntu does not have that. Is that Epson only?
                  Seems to work with my Umax as well. Can't comment on other scanners. There are many other sane front ends as well such as skanlite.

What is the use of running Linux if you still need Windows software? It still requires the maintainence and hassle. (Hope I understood this part correctly). Full 800 DPI is not really a dealbreaker for most users though.
                  Because there is a ton of things that Linux just handles better and a ton of stuff you cannot do in windows or as easily as you can in linux. Every OS has it's strength and weaknesses. There is stuff that I can do in linux that I cannot do in OS X or Windows, there is stuff that I can do in Windows but I cannot in OS X and Linux and there is stuff I can do in OS X that I cannot do in Windows or Linux. It is all about using the right tool for the right job and no OS has ever been a one-size fits all. I find personally that I run into too many situations where "You can't do that in windows without some specialized app". For example many scanners do not allow the sharing of it to others on the network in Windows. In linux virtually any scanner can be shared. Live streaming in Windows is another example. IF (and that is a big if) your card is still supported with the next version of windows you still have to monkey around with a bunch of apps for something that should simple as hell. In linux it is as simple as a one liner that you can easily setup as a shortcut if you wish. As far as the maintenance goes, find that Windows is absolutely the worse out of any system for this. If I don't boot into Windows for a month, I wind up having to do 3+ reboots just to finally get to a desktop because of the updates. With linux, unless it is a kernel update, I get a notification that the updates have been installed. When I go to install a package in linux, I don't get told that I have to download xyz version of a dll and then go hunt for it. The dependencies get installed when I install the package.

I only used the 800 DPI as one such example but something like a mouse should absolutely not break with a new release of Windows (look at logitechs forums for the wealth of Win 8 compatibility issues and older Logitech mice). Like I said, I have a ton of hardware that goes unsupported with every new version of windows. With linux it just keeps on ticking. Software is another bad issue in Windows. With Windows 8 I cannot use my older copy of Maya but the linux version still continues to operate despite it being a decade old release.
                  Last edited by deanjo; 07 January 2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I'm curious about that, point taken.
                    Most DE's (desktop environments like Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LCDE etc) handle clipboards themselves and does not suffer from this problem which stems from Xorg, which is that it only keeps a reference to the copied data, not the actual data itself. Thus if you close the origin of the data the reference is invalid. As mentioned most (if not all) DE's have their own clipboards which fixes this, only those who rely on Xorg to do this job (mainly WM's) suffer from this problem.

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaa

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                      rexilion are you dyslexic?

WTF DID I WRITE? TELL ME WTF DID I WRITE?

People will buy their shitty laptops/tablets/smartphones AND FUCKING USE THE OS THAT THEY COME WITH

The great majority won't even give A FUCK ABOUT CLICKING THE 'UPDATE' BUTTOn do you really think they are going to install ANY OS

LINUX COULD BE MADE OUT OF BLOWJOBS AND CUTE PUPPIES AND PEOPLE WOULD STILL NOT SWITCH FROM WINDOWS 8

... ...

the people that buy apple, like your parents, are fucking retards that fail to see that they are buying THE EXACT SAME SHIT HARDWARE and paying OUT OF THEIR ASS for a shitty bsd stolen operating system
                      AAAAAAAAH! MAYBE IF I TYPE IN ALL CAPS, SOUND ANGRY, USE ENOUGH VULGARITY TO CUT DOWN A FOREST, AND REPEAT MYSELF, PEOPLE (I MEAN RETARDS) WILL TAKE MY POINTS EASILY SUMMARIZED INTO HALF A PARAGRAPH MORE SERIOUSLY!

You know, you have some good points to make, but you'd be rhetorically much better off if you presented them more professionally. And, frankly, calling people retards so frequently makes you look, well, retarded.

Comment

Working...
                      X