Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.10 Desktop Delayed Into February

Phoronix: KDE 4.10 Desktop Delayed Into February

With today's release of KDE 4.9.5 as the latest monthly point release, it's been decided to delay the KDE 4.10 release. Due to last minute changes, an additional 4.10 release candidate has been deemed necessary and as a result the final version is being pushed back into February...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I LOLed

KDE 4.10 Desktop Delayed Into February
    LOL! How about doing everybody a favor? Put the release on an infinite delay. KDE is dead anyway. LOLOLOL

Comment

I'm going to be in a minority here but I feel like KDE has died. Really.

Between KDE 4.4 and KDE 4.10 there's almost nothing visible or interesting for the average user.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Between KDE 4.4 and KDE 4.10 there's almost nothing visible or interesting for the average user.
        It hasn't died. KDE 4 is mature technology and these are point releases. Most of the plumbing was done during the (ugly) early stages of the 4.x branch. What they have been doing recently is sensible -- fixing bugs, improving stability, instead of introducing breaks with each new release. The major upgrade will be the switch to Qt5. Until then, they'll just keep polishing it, like they did with the 3.x series at the end. If anything, people are going back to it, now that the growing pains have passed, and competing desktops are still making that painful transition.

Is there anything that they should be adding, in your opinion? It can already be configured to do pretty much anything, and I haven't had KDE-related crashes in years.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          What they have been doing recently is sensible -- fixing bugs, improving stability, instead of introducing breaks with each new release.
          Are you kidding? The bugs are piling up and up but there's no one to fix them. There's no bug fixing going on. Reported bugs are ignored and in every release new bugs pop up.

KDE is not dead, but it's a bug infested mess.

Comment

It hasn't died. KDE 4 is mature technology and these are point releases.
            That's shit talk. KDE is dead code walking. It sees no new features. Sure KDE4 is better now compared to the embarrassing first 5 releases, but there really is no excuse for lacking new features. KDE is the victim of Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Then you're looking in the wrong places. Notifications were revamped in 4.5 and now again in 4.10, PowerDevil and Oxygen GTK theme in 4.6, the icon set overhaul in 4.7 was very visible, 4.8 had Dolphin 2.0 (everyone who didn't notice any differences is blind), and all releases since 4.6 features greater use of QtQuick/QML which may not result directly in user-visible changes but are interesting to average users because that move allows easier and therefore quicker bugfixes. Feature-wise the big performance leaps by KWin, many new features in e.g. Marble, etc. were also very beneficial for average users.
              And 4.10?s new default wallpaper is absolutely stunning ? another user-visible change.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                That's shit talk. KDE is dead code walking. It sees no new features.
                It already has all the features of all competing desktops put together.

That's what you criticise all the time. Make up your mind already.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                  LOL! How about doing everybody a favor? Put the release on an infinite delay. KDE is dead anyway. LOLOLOL
                  Right on! Screw all the people who like KDE, if funkStar doesn't like it then the whole project should just be abandoned.

Comment

It already has all the features of all competing desktops put together.
                    Pathological configurism is quite opposite to features.

Comment

Working...
                    X