Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Ubuntu Linux For Mobile Phones Announced

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Was there an ETA on the sale of the phone. Can't find it anywhere.
    Due for release in 2014.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    Mark said the first Ubuntu for Android high-end devices are shipping H2 2013.
    Ubuntu Phone OS powered phones will ship in early 2014.
    It is running X.org at the moment and uses Qt5 QML for native applications.
    They target low-end and high-end devices equally.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20

    Unhappy As little disappointed

    I was expecting an actual device of some kind, like a phone or tablet. Instead it's just a software announcement that may not go anywhere. This is a very competitive market, just look at how Palm has failed , and they actually had some real marketing and devices.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Mark said the first Ubuntu for Android high-end devices are shipping H2 2013.
    Ubuntu Phone OS powered phones will ship in early 2014.
    It is running X.org at the moment and uses Qt5 QML for native applications.
    They target low-end and high-end devices equally.
    Isn't this similar to what jolla is using?

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    It is running X.org at the moment
    Really? How they achieve X.Org Server running on top of Android drivers that doesn't support GLX?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Were his feet nailed on the floor? Or the legs completely faked?
    I could not see once that there was the slightest movement below his hips...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmalzler View Post
    Were his feet nailed on the floor? Or the legs completely faked?
    I could not see once that there was the slightest movement below his hips...
    Would you have preferred him to finish each side with a pelvic thrust?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Really? How they achieve X.Org Server running on top of Android drivers that doesn't support GLX?
    I am pretty sure Ubuntu for android and ubuntu phone are sperate products. Ubuntu Phone OS seems to be a standard GNU/Linux stack.

    Also for development they use Qt5 and QML (for native), or HTML5 and web apps.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRtd View Post
    I was expecting an actual device of some kind, like a phone or tablet. Instead it's just a software announcement that may not go anywhere. This is a very competitive market, just look at how Palm has failed , and they actually had some real marketing and devices.
    They use the nexus 7 as a reference platform for their tablet development. Not exactly what you asked for, but at least something:

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7

    IMO, they can't wait until everything is done with announcing. That wouldn't be very open. Ubuntu/Canonical may not be best in class at openness compared to other desktop linux distributions, but they pretty damn great compared to all the current big players in the tablet/smartphone space. I don't know where this is going, but I don't see any harm (for the rest of us) in them trying.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux For Mobile Phones Announced

    Canonical officially announced Ubuntu Phone OS today, it's attempt at pushing the popular desktop Linux distribution onto mobile devices. However, for the moment, if you're just an end-user don't get too excited...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2NjU
    I hope theyre using the Firefox runtime for html5 in order to access the system features.
    Too bad about them going with Qt. EFL seems a much better choice for low end hardware.
    Also I was very surprised by the features shown. Much more impressive than what was shown by Jolla, IMHO. Very usable and actually nice looking. The gestures looked natural and easy to remember without requiring the odd contortions of the "finger roll" that Jolla is using.
    Still, I prefer FFOS and since they have actual hardware partners and launch dates I think they are going to be a better position despite their interface not being as nice as the Ubuntu one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •