Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

Phoronix: Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

As said a few times already, this year will be marked by the release of a Linux-based Steam hardware gaming console out of Valve...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I don't understand with this Steam Linux console what games will it run? Have they ported their 2500 games over using some proprietary wine solution?

Comment

Originally posted by fettouhi View Post
      What I don't understand with this Steam Linux console what games will it run? Have they ported their 2500 games over using some proprietary wine solution?
      I hope they'll at least port the most important and famous games. However, I don't understand why some of the games already ported to Linux aren't available on Steam yet. Like those from humble bundle 7.

Comment

The good thing about it coming to Linux a bit later in 2013 will probably be all the new games that are being prepared by developers for 2013. Some titles that currently offer Mac support but don't support linux yet are being planned, like we just got Torchlight and the leader of the Torchlight II project says he's waiting for Humble Bundle to contact him about a Linux port a bit after they've released the upcoming Mac port. And mentioning the Humble Bundle, that has been succesful at bringing more indie titles over to Linux. There are also a ton of Unity 4 titles that are working on linux support because it's a very popular game engine and it has just added a linux export option in the last few months. Blizzard titles have for a while been utilizing OpenGL and Blizzard has admitted they have a linux client for World of Warcraft in their labs but they're not willing to release it because they didn't see the Linux market as large enough to warrant offering support services. With there being evidence of linux users wanting to buy proprietary game content as of late Blizzard might come around because the company has also shown disdain for the new Windows 8.

I wonder what hardware they'll use though. Intel processor and Nvidia graphics card would have been a no-brainer a couple of years ago but with the computer chip and software developers pushing towards on die GPU solutions and heterogeneous software it might be better to go with something like AMD's APU. Also, the new information coming out about the Tegra 4 is saying that the Tegra 4 would definitely be able to play Crisis and those are cheap to mass produce. There's also still rumors of an Nvidia Project Denver release coming up soon which is aimed as a desktop solution. Intel's Haswell chips should be available by mid 2013 and they are sporting an updated graphics architecture called Intel HD 4600. Personally I think a Trinity solution is the best value for a cheap but gaming capable setup in general but for Linux the sometimes disappointing AMD drivers may be too much a risk for Valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          I hope they'll at least port the most important and famous games. However, I don't understand why some of the games already ported to Linux aren't available on Steam yet. Like those from humble bundle 7.
          But Valve has no control over other publishers content. It is in the end Ubisoft that has to deceide if the for example want to port their AC franchise to Linux. It just at least to seems like a huge amount of porting work that will years until it is complete and at that point the Steam console maybe completely irrelevant.

Comment

"years" come on

But Valve has no control over other publishers content. It is in the end Ubisoft that has to deceide if the for example want to port their AC franchise to Linux. It just at least to seems like a huge amount of porting work that will years until it is complete and at that point the Steam console maybe completely irrelevant.
            IMHO I believe that a steam box based on linux can be nothing but good news. I highly doubt they will need to port every title to be competitive, and even if they did who said it would take years. Maybe if it was just one person doing the work. The game franchises you speak of have teams of people! TEAMS. It wont take years, come on.

Of course this is my opinion.

I will buy two steambox's at least!

Comment

Great!

Now, let's hope they don't use anything from Canonical.
              But sure, this thing most likely will run Ubuntu. :/

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Great!

The question is: Will someone be able to use it as a regular PC?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Great!

I'm sure it will be Ubuntu based but not Ubuntu by any means. Most DEs, including Unity, are not gamepad friendly. The default Ubuntu desktop also comes with at least 1GB of packages irrelevant to Steam, media, or games in general. Ubuntu is also missing a lot of packages that many games require. It wouldn't surprise me if Valve uses their own DE, or, stictly uses Big Picture mode with no other option.

What I personally want to know is what they intend to use for hardware. I wouldn't want to spend $350+ on a system like this because it includes 8GB of RAM and an i7.

Comment

Compatible?

I have a serial port on my computer, so I can run a serial console.

Do I need a steam port on my computer to run a steam console?

Can I get a steam port at my local HVAC dealer or do I need to get a new computer?

Perhaps steam based systems are incompatible with the hot air generated by phoronix commenters?

Comment

Working...
                    X