Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Now Does "Seamless Forest Rendering"

Phoronix: Unigine Now Does "Seamless Forest Rendering"

With the latest improvements made to the high-end Unigine Engine, there's now support for the seamless rendering of forests plus other improvements to its OpenGL renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they would only release Unigine Engine with same license as UDK, it would become highly popular. With Steam for Linux out it could be UDK equivalent in linux world.

Comment

Yes... why post about a proprietry game engine?

Comment

Those are some of the most badly rendered trees I have ever seen.

Comment

Yeah, that went backwards. The spruce looks really unnatural.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
            Yes... why post about a proprietry game engine?
            Open source game engines are pretty shit and years behind.

Most OSS engines are just modified Quake3 eninge.

With some work we can get on par with proprietary engines from 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
              Open source game engines are pretty shit and years behind.
              some years behind, I can agree with that.

Most OSS engines are just modified Quake3 eninge.
              no, no that's pure nonsense. A not comprehensive list of OSS game engines is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

With some work we can get on par with proprietary engines from 5 years ago.
              That's not bad. The graphics and realism feeling is not nearly all what matters in games. The main purpose of most games is that they are addicting and fun to play.
              Last edited by Fenrin; 30 December 2012, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Someone should tell these guys that trees grow upwards :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                  some years behind, I can agree with that.

no, no that's pure nonsense. A not comprehensive list of OSS game engines is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

That's not bad. The graphics and realism feeling is not nearly all what matters in games. The main purpose of most games is that they are addicting and fun to play.
                  Well most of the more advanced, capable and widely used oss engines are based off something I'd has released. ioquake3, iodoom3 (plus forks of these 2), and darkplaces all come to mind. I think overdose engine based off quake2 although it,s very modified. Looks to be most advanced engine too, although I am not sure how open source overdose is. They say they will provide sources on email ( http://www.moddb.com/games/overdose/...ource-and-more )
                  I am pretty sure Alien Arena and war sow both use modified quake2.

But the only major OSS engines I know of without idtech code are OGRE, and CUBE2.

I agree gameplay, not graphics make the game but my post was in response to someone asking why post about proprietary engines at all. Maybe it was a bit harsh towards OSS engines and theirs devs. They do put a lot of work into them without personal return.

Comment

But the only major OSS engines I know of without idtech code are OGRE, and CUBE2.
                    OGRE isn't a game engine. It's a renderer. That's a tiny fraction of what makes a game engine tick. The game object layer, logic manager, input, audio, asset pipeline, game state management, networking, debugging tools, physics, path-finding and low-level AI facilities, scripting, effects framework, deployment tools, GUI editor, and so on are all needed to have a suitable engine on which to actually build a game.

Comment

Working...
                    X