Valve Beginning To Look At Steam Linux Not On Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
    My last touch with RPMs was far back in the days of Mandriva 10.2, since then, I use Debian (mostly servers) and Ubuntu (+derivatives, on clients). So I won't get myself into the argument...
    Mandriva uses rpm5 (I leave the debacle aside). 10.2 was on rpm.org version thus not indicative of the rpm based distribution as a whole. A lot of change in rpm occurred which is currently on 4.10 which the use of xz compression, deltarpm.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Which formats are good and which are bad?

Is RPM better than .deb?
      It depends of your preference. I personally like rpm based better as I maintain these packages easy to create, the spec file is fairly
      simple to use without much headache to manage other files for confugirations inside .deb.
      Deb package has better documentation though thanks to its strict policy from its parent Debian.

Overall, in enterprise environment, learning rpm package is a must. In consumer market, either deb or rpm depending of the distribution (mainly Ubuntu or Fedora).

Comment

I now have flash working in steam.

After copying the files from the rpm nothing. I had also created a folder called plugins, in .steam/steam /ubuntu 32

Installing http://nspluginwrapper.org/ did it for me. ( also the 32 bit libs, my package manager did add )

After a reboot flash in steam was working.

And in Team fortress 2, I now have music playing, at the screen were you can click play online. I had not even noticed yet, it to be broken.
        All other sounds did already work.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
          I now have flash working in steam.

After copying the files from the rpm nothing. I had also created a folder called plugins, in .steam/steam /ubuntu 32

Installing http://nspluginwrapper.org/ did it for me. ( also the 32 bit libs, my package manager did add )

After a reboot flash in steam was working.

And in Team fortress 2, I now have music playing, at the screen were you can click play online. I had not even noticed yet, it to be broken.
          All other sounds did already work.
          This may have been the source of the problem.

Anyway, for TF2, don't forget it's also in beta state for linux, so it may be normal to see things "magically" working

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
            This may have been the source of the problem.

Anyway, for TF2, don't forget it's also in beta state for linux, so it may be normal to see things "magically" working
            Indeed, because first my flash was crashing steam.
            Two days after I posted on the git hub, it did not crash anymore, but told me I had the wrong flash version :P
            For a beta I could not be more happy.

The reason why I have to start steam with a command (to have sound) and a message about freedesktop org are known.

Both seem to have to do with a difference between ubuntu on the one hand, and suse and arch and ? on the other hand.

Comment

good!

Bring it to Debian Stable PLEASE! I will sell my soul for your DRM games On Linux Debian Stable.

Comment

Most games run when you call:

Twice (root+user) on wheezy. But you need to have got your 3d drivers installed the correct debian way. I see no simple way to get it running on squeeze.

Comment

Working...
                X