Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Asks Linux Users About Installation on non-Ubuntu Machines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Asks Linux Users About Installation on non-Ubuntu Machines.

We've gotten a lot of feedback around the hacky way that Steam manages dependencies. Some of this is because of lingering multiarch problems on Ubuntu 12.04 and hopefully this will go away as Canonical irons those out. But some is due to the way that package management doesn't work well with an auto-updating application like Steam.

The details are in the post, if you can help, now is the time.

Wow, Valve really have an uphill battle. They have to support a whole bevvy of distros, and for what, a fraction of their userbase? It makes me despair at fragmentation.

Props to them though, I'm installing Ubuntu on my (previously Windows only) desktop tonight to lend my support to their efforts. Wherever possible I'll log into the Linux version. I'll maybe dual boot Arch and see if I can get it up-and-running on that too.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Wow, Valve really have an uphill battle. They have to support a whole bevvy of distros, and for what, a fraction of their userbase? It makes me despair at fragmentation.

Props to them though, I'm installing Ubuntu on my (previously Windows only) desktop tonight to lend my support to their efforts. Wherever possible I'll log into the Linux version. I'll maybe dual boot Arch and see if I can get it up-and-running on that too.
      They don't have to, but thanks God they want to.

Comment

One of the reasons of this beta is also to see how hard it will be to support more distros.

1 Native Steam on Linux Beta Client

1.1 openSUSE / SUSE
        1.2 Gentoo
        1.3 Fedora
        1.4 Arch Linux

Those 4 distro's are also the ones named most in the steam forums.

It needs to start somewhere. I'm using Archlinux and still enjoying it after they removed rc.conf. I don't use any proper DE. Compiz is my Window Manager and I borrow some apps from LXDE, XFCE and Gnome. That's a bit messy but I like it so far.

To me it looks arch and suse are quite the same, atleast as far as steam.
        Problems and solutions are mostly the same.

I installed ndispluginwrapper to get flash (32bit) working in steam.
        This solution also helped someone on Ubuntu 64 bit.

I played already over 30 hours of Teamfortress 2 on linux. ( openSUSE 12.2 64bit)

Currently the steam package is taken offline from the SUSE odb, because of license questions.
        Valve is working though on a new eula which allows to repackage steam for other distro's.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          Why? They only have to support ubuntu and allow for community repackaging. They still can release distribution related fixes as they see fit. steam worked fine on Archlinux from day 1 of the beta.

Comment

Working...
          X