Thread: Valve Asks Linux Users About Installation on non-Ubuntu Machines.

Default Valve Asks Linux Users About Installation on non-Ubuntu Machines.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...9854324291029/

The details are in the post, if you can help, now is the time.

Wow, Valve really have an uphill battle. They have to support a whole bevvy of distros, and for what, a fraction of their userbase? It makes me despair at fragmentation.

Props to them though, I'm installing Ubuntu on my (previously Windows only) desktop tonight to lend my support to their efforts. Wherever possible I'll log into the Linux version. I'll maybe dual boot Arch and see if I can get it up-and-running on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Wow, Valve really have an uphill battle. They have to support a whole bevvy of distros, and for what, a fraction of their userbase? It makes me despair at fragmentation.

Props to them though, I'm installing Ubuntu on my (previously Windows only) desktop tonight to lend my support to their efforts. Wherever possible I'll log into the Linux version. I'll maybe dual boot Arch and see if I can get it up-and-running on that too.
    They don't have to, but thanks God they want to.

One of the reasons of this beta is also to see how hard it will be to support more distros.

1 Native Steam on Linux Beta Client

1.1 openSUSE / SUSE
    1.2 Gentoo
    1.3 Fedora
    1.4 Arch Linux

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...am_under_Linux

Those 4 distro's are also the ones named most in the steam forums.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...74752/?l=dutch

To me it looks arch and suse are quite the same, atleast as far as steam.
    Problems and solutions are mostly the same.

I installed ndispluginwrapper to get flash (32bit) working in steam.
    This solution also helped someone on Ubuntu 64 bit.

I played already over 30 hours of Teamfortress 2 on linux. ( openSUSE 12.2 64bit)

Currently the steam package is taken offline from the SUSE odb, because of license questions.
    Valve is working though on a new eula which allows to repackage steam for other distro's.

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Why? They only have to support ubuntu and allow for community repackaging. They still can release distribution related fixes as they see fit. steam worked fine on Archlinux from day 1 of the beta.