Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Multi-Process Support For GTK's HTTP Back-End

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,138

    Default Multi-Process Support For GTK's HTTP Back-End

    Phoronix: Multi-Process Support For GTK's HTTP Back-End

    Broadway, the HTML5 back-end for GTK3 that allows GTK applications to be rendered within a modern web-browser and served via a server, now has support for initiating multiple processes. The Broadway multi-process support is similar to running an X11 Server session with multiple windows...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2Mjg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Now run a panel instead of a terminal and sell thin clients for it.


    Whooooooo GREAT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Well, there is your wayland remote desktop solution...

    Btw, I lolled at the Gimp splashscreen (Goat invasion!)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Well, there is your wayland remote desktop solution...

    Btw, I lolled at the Gimp splashscreen (Goat invasion!)
    That's what the current master for 2.10 used to be called when a branch, IIRC.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,108

    Default Really cool!

    How does this work?
    Is it HTML, CSS and JavaScript?
    Or is it HTML5 canvas and JavaScript?

    Can it run gnome-shell? Like a whole GNOME desktop in the browser?
    What about GDM so you can login as any user?

    This would be awesome to run on a server in the cloud.
    Great for thin clients. Great to introduce people to GNOME who never tried it before, just give them an URL.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    How does this work?
    Is it HTML, CSS and JavaScript?
    Or is it HTML5 canvas and JavaScript?
    HTML5 canvas + JS (websockets).


    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Can it run gnome-shell? Like a whole GNOME desktop in the browser?
    What about GDM so you can login as any user?
    No.
    No.
    And No.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Well, there is your wayland remote desktop solution...
    Speaking of Wayland remoting, I have come across some Microsoft patents filed between 2008 and 2011, related to the Remote Desktop Protocol describing the intented remoting solution for wayland. I hope devs read them carefully so they can come up with a solution that circunvents them.
    Last edited by newwen; 12-28-2012 at 06:23 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    Speaking of Wayland remoting, I have come across some Microsoft patents filed between 2008 and 2011, related to the Remote Desktop Protocol describing the intented remoting solution for wayland. I hope devs read them carefully so they can come up with a solution that circunvents them.
    Even though this might be OT, i would really like to hear more about this.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    Even though this might be OT, i would really like to hear more about this.
    +1 , I also don't see how there could be patents that block remote Wayland since you have alternatives like x11vnc, freenx and of course X11 remote as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    Speaking of Wayland remoting, I have come across some Microsoft patents filed between 2008 and 2011, related to the Remote Desktop Protocol describing the intented remoting solution for wayland. I hope devs read them carefully so they can come up with a solution that circunvents them.
    DO YOU READ THE NEWSPAPER???

    The patent damages against Marvell were TRIPLED because they READ THE PATENTS CAREFULLY.

    The moral of the story is to NOT READ THE DAMNED PATENTS.

    IGNORE THE PATENTS.

    And of course you PRESUME that these patents have some sort of VALIDITY to them!

    But you can just IGNORE all that with your FUD!

    READ THOSE PATENTS! GET SUED! LOSE YOUR MONEY! What a troll you are.
    Last edited by frantaylor; 12-28-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •