Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Driver Enables Full 2D Acceleration For HD 7000

Phoronix: Radeon Driver Enables Full 2D Acceleration For HD 7000

A commit to the xf86-video-ati driver this morning by AMD's Michel D?nzer says it enables full 2D acceleration for the Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for heads-up Michael!

The wait is justified, everyone knows how GCN is different. What is not justified are still low performance (yes, even now) and bad power profiling... Even 260 gtx + proprietary nvidia is faster, than a raw 3x faster 6870 card when comboed with opensource drivers.

If anyone can practically implement them, he is welcome to setup a kickstarter project with a few thousands bucks as a thanks. I am more than sure, the radeon users will help out.

If you are not hot at moneymaking by selling cards via means of a good driver,.. don't forget that option, guys.

Comment

Its time for new series of 2D comparisions between AMD Catalys/MESA+xorg+drm drivers

PS do we have ONE name for calling graphic drivers for Linux that use FLOSS components?

(AMD have Catalys but for FLOSS they have r600/radeonSI/r300 etc... no unified name)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        Its time for new series of 2D comparisions between AMD Catalys/MESA+xorg+drm drivers

PS do we have ONE name for calling graphic drivers for Linux that use FLOSS components?

(AMD have Catalys but for FLOSS they have r600/radeonSI/r300 etc... no unified name)
        The fact is that phoronix readers can do that on their own...
        And everyone is calm and relies on Michael.........! See: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...Test-using-PTS

Regarding naming, the opensource driver has one name - its called "Radeon". The parts are different components/modules within kernel.

Comment

6000 series still doesn't work

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Radeon Driver Enables Full 2D Acceleration For HD 7000

A commit to the xf86-video-ati driver this morning by AMD's Michel D?nzer says it enables full 2D acceleration for the Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" GPUs...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2MjY
          Not really sure what to find exciting about this while I still cannot use the open source drivers with the 6000 series on my laptop (HD 6620G + HD 6750M). The power management is so inexcusably bad that I am afraid it will melt the laptop. My next laptop is likely to be Intel based for obvious reasons. Does AMD care about free software?

-ed.

Comment

And muxless amd card still a dream under linux.........................
            Last amd device ever...

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              Thanks for heads-up Michael!

The wait is justified, everyone knows how GCN is different. What is not justified are still low performance (yes, even now) and bad power profiling... Even 260 gtx + proprietary nvidia is faster, than a raw 3x faster 6870 card when comboed with opensource drivers.

If anyone can practically implement them, he is welcome to setup a kickstarter project with a few thousands bucks as a thanks. I am more than sure, the radeon users will help out.

If you are not hot at moneymaking by selling cards via means of a good driver,.. don't forget that option, guys.
              The general idea in this community is that opensource will solve that all on it's own (it's free!!). I'm suprised that ppl are dissapointed by the lagging support for this hardware. And are asking to donate money/manpower.

Proprietary software is being treated as it's the devil himself. Yet nVidia's driver is the best proof that proprietary works with opensource software.

Comment

Great to see there is progress on the support of the new asics.
                However, does GLAMOR supports zaphod mode now?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  The general idea in this community is that opensource will solve that all on it's own (it's free!!). I'm suprised that ppl are dissapointed by the lagging support for this hardware. And are asking to donate money/manpower.

Proprietary software is being treated as it's the devil himself. Yet nVidia's driver is the best proof that proprietary works with opensource software.
                  Well, Intel graphics drivers on GNU/Linux are Free Software and has given by far the most trouble free user experience for me.

So. Free Software is beating proprietary software hands down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                    Yet nVidia's driver is the best proof that proprietary works with opensource software.
                    It doesn't work with it, it works around it. NVIDIA simply has enough resources (and writes most of their code platform-independently) that they can afford reimplementing everything on their own. But the reimplementation is by no means always better - security issues, debugging problems, stability and maintenance are harmed by the fact that it's all proprietary. If NVIDIA suddenly decided not to release anything else for Linux ever, after a while Nouveau would become better than the proprietary driver in more or less all aspects.

Proprietary solutions are not the devil, but they are simply pointless obstacles. They create a lot of problems that could be avoided if at least a part of the driver was open-source. And the only reason why the drivers are proprietary is that their code either has some secrets they don't want to give to others, or it has licensed code from somewhere else. Both could easily be made into proprietary modules for OSS drivers, and nobody would complain about that, because the main part of the driver would still be in a position where it could be maintained and changed as the community, and not the company, decides. And that's very important in terms of new feature adoption and security issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X