Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu In 2013: Mobile, Unity, Deep In The Cloud

Phoronix: Ubuntu In 2013: Mobile, Unity, Deep In The Cloud

With 2012 quickly coming to a close, Mark Shuttleworth wrote a blog post this morning about his views on Ubuntu Linux in 2013...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yikes

LOL. Talking about not excluding while you demand outside developers to sign the Canonical CA. This is all about excluding! They exclude contribitions and the exclude pure free software patches.

2013 will be al about excluding developers/pure free software. Oh yeah and skunkworks plus opt out spyware. Jesus Christ Ubuntus moral is degrading fast.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      So that unity interface was all about mobiles after all. Ha. And now I hear you that no, you use Unity on desktop, and love it. Sure. Like Unity is usable on a desktop without making you commit suicide. Yep, confirmed: Unity and Gnome 3 are all about mobile, not desktops. Now back to xfce and Kde my friends. You lost!
      Try Windows 8, then tell me Unity is made for mobile.

And yes, I use and love Unity.

Comment

Haters Gonna Hate

Yeah, I like Unity and all the people who use Ubuntu around me like is too...

(KDE is second IMHO...)

Comment

Does not want Ubuntu on mobile

Android is great on mobile.
          Unity is not great on mobile.

I do not believe that Unity is suited for mobile. Making Unity suitable for mobile would mean making it unsuitable for the desktop.

The desktop and the mobile have different usages and needs.
          Also general-purpose computing (PC, laptop) and an information appliance (TV, tablet, phone) have different usages and needs.

Comment

Until they separate application updates from system updates, their Software Center will be a poor mockup of the OS X App Store and its Windows counterpart. It's really pathetic that something that was actually invented "here" has been done so much better "there".

Ubuntu is doomed until PPAs become completely unnecessary for stable releases. As it stands today, what's really superfluous is the Software Center, where you can't find the latest release of almost any still developed app. Useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
              Ubuntu is doomed until PPAs become completely unnecessary for stable releases. As it stands today, what's really superfluous is the Software Center, where you can't find the latest release of almost any still developed app. Useless.
              Indeed!

It sucks when a new release of a software is out, and I can't have it.
              I run a FOSS operating system and see a new release of a FOSS application, most of the developers run Linux, so I should be a first-class premium citizen who get it first, right?
              Nope, I get it last. Everyone with Windows and Mac gets it before me! It sucks!

Comment

At least it's progress.

The kernel should be rolling-released in the next LTS and Ubuntu have plans to go full-rolling-release for a long time, so they are working on it. But it can't be simply done. Even the best rolling release these days is much less user friendly than the most unstable Ubuntu release. For the time being we have PPAs.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                  The kernel should be rolling-released in the next LTS and Ubuntu have plans to go full-rolling-release for a long time, so they are working on it. But it can't be simply done. Even the best rolling release these days is much less user friendly than the most unstable Ubuntu release. For the time being we have PPAs.
                  Well the core can be frozen and the optional be rolling.
                  Example, everything pre-installed and on the ISO image is frozen, i.e. the kernel, GNOME, X.org, LibreOffice, GCC, Python, etc.
                  Then stuff not on the ISO image will be rolling, such as GIMP, Blender, VLC, Audacity, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X