Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Now Unredirects Fullscreen Windows

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Now Unredirects Fullscreen Windows

For improving the performance of OpenGL games on the Ubuntu desktop, an update pushed out for Ubuntu 12.10 this morning now has Compiz un-redirect fullscreen windows by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Line 1 from the bottom "a slow of .." -> "a slew of..".

Comment

Any quick Unity benchmarks forthcoming?

Comment

I go from 25.47 FPS to 47.40 FPS. Yay for 50% improvements!
        It's not a 50% improvement. It's 87%

Comment

I wonder why KDE did the opposite. Most people now get jerky video playback. Go figure.

Props to Ubuntu for doing this. Maybe now there's a chance that Google will fix their PPAPI Flash plugin that is tearing since Chrome 22 or so. They didn't care much since Ubuntu didn't unredirect fullscreen apps, hiding the Flash bug.
          Last edited by RealNC; 26 December 2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

- Add an option to specify which windows are allowed to be unredirected
            when they are fullscreen. Default: Allow unredirection on all window
            types except common video players: Totem, MPlayer, Vlc or Plugin-
            container (Flash or other nested browser windows). (LP: #1051802)

- Add Firefox to the unredirect exceptions. (LP: #1086337)
            Flash and other plugins and also some of the video players are added to the exception list (they are still unredirected in fullscreen). You can also add manually any program to that list via CompizConfig Settings Manager it's in Composite plugin and then Unredirect Match.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              Finally! After so many years! I had given up hope
              Given up hope on what? That'd someone would change a default setting you could have easily changed yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                I wonder why KDE did the opposite. Most people now get jerky video playback. Go figure.
                What do you mean by "did the opposite"? I still have unredirected fullscreen on both Kubuntu 12.10 and Arch with KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by vitiv View Post
                  What do you mean by "did the opposite"? I still have unredirected fullscreen on both Kubuntu 12.10 and Arch with KDE.
                  The new default is to keep fullscreen apps fully composited. Your KDE is picking up the old setting you have. If you were to create a new user, the default setting would be to composite fullscreen apps.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    The new default is to keep fullscreen apps fully composited. Your KDE is picking up the old setting you have. If you were to create a new user, the default setting would be to composite fullscreen apps.
                    Oh, I knew that , but I didn't think people get so mad over a default setting that takes 10 seconds to change.

Comment

Working...
                    X