Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Didn't Make The Cut For The Linux 3.8 Kernel

Phoronix: What Didn't Make The Cut For The Linux 3.8 Kernel

While there's a lot of features that are new to the Linux 3.8 kernel as covered in The Feature Overview For The Linux 3.8 Kernel, there's also several promising new features and functionality that didn't make the cut for this next kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think that the one I'm most hoping to see land is power management advancements for Radeon and reclocking support for Nouveau. Anyone have any idea what needs to be done yet for Nouveau reclocking? Is it testing, bug hunting, new hardware support, other?

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      I think that the one I'm most hoping to see land is power management advancements for Radeon and reclocking support for Nouveau. Anyone have any idea what needs to be done yet for Nouveau reclocking? Is it testing, bug hunting, new hardware support, other?
      A while ago, mupuf pushed some commits into nouveau git: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6 . It is for detecting and manually adjusting fan control. More work will be published once this portion had enough testing coverage.

I guess that they want fan control done first before they start cranking up the clocks. Otherwise ppl will fry their card =) .

I could have provided a link about this work, but freedesktop.org seems down once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
        A while ago, mupuf pushed some commits into nouveau git: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6 . It is for detecting and manually adjusting fan control. More work will be published once this portion had enough testing coverage.

I guess that they want fan control done first before they start cranking up the clocks. Otherwise ppl will fry their card =) .

I could have provided a link about this work, but freedesktop.org seems down once again.
        That makes plenty of sense. Making sure that the fan control and thermal solutions are solid before pushing the re-clocking support is something that I can agree with.

Comment

How about bcache/flashcache?

What I have been waiting for is bcache, or something along those lines. It would allow people to use small (and cheap) SSDs for caching without jumping through a ridiculous amount of hoops to sort out their files.

So now we have bcache and flashcache, both as separate patches and (as far as I can tell) not particularly up-to-date. I also seem to remember reading a post about someone working on a dm-raid alternative for SSD caching...

Is there any process in that front?

Comment

raid5/6 for btrfs also didn't make it into this kernel

Comment

I don't get it. Hans Reiser has nothing but time on his hands now. Why hasn't he finished his file system?

Comment

Working...
              X