Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Grep & Sed: Fallout Within The GNU FSF Camp

Phoronix: GNU Grep & Sed: Fallout Within The GNU FSF Camp

It seems there's some dissenting views finally being pushed into the center of the table for discussion about the GNU project and Free Software Foundation. This comes as the maintainer of GNU Grep and Sed has announced his resignation from the projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One does not simply tease Fallout players with a Linux port in the title without major disappointment after discovering it's not what we thought.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
      One does not simply tease Fallout players with a Linux port in the title without major disappointment after discovering it's not what we thought.
      Playing Fallout is less likely to result in violence than working with sed and regex.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
        Oh god damn it ... right in the English comprehension.

Seriously though, I'm a Fallout player myself and the game didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
          Oh god damn it ... right in the English comprehension.

Seriously though, I'm a Fallout player myself and the game didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it.
          seconded lol
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

GNU seems like such a relic of the past now.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              GNU seems like such a relic of the past now.
              Not so much as a "relic" but more of a jersey in need of retirement! In sports terminlogy it sounds slightly less disrespecful...

In all seriousness, Linux would not be what it is today without the GNU project; that's a fact that will always be true no matter how much GNU software we actually use in the future.
              Last edited by CTown; 24 December 2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

the FSF and GNU foundations are 20+ year old organizations that maintain a bunch of unix tools that are scarcely ever thought of any more. how terrible would it be if grep and sed fell out of existance tomorrow? how long before a couple fresh out of collage programmers would come up with a more feature ritch replacement written in a more maintainable codebase that was more easily integrated with modern componants. what GNU and FSF did in the past was great. they made some foundations that back then were dificult to do and had to be done in order for a free software world to emerge. but today, they if anything seem more likely to hold back progression that to support it. gnash? wtf how is that such a dead end. FSF blurting out something about a powerVR driver yet has mothing to show for it? look at these guys that sit down for a couple long weeks and come up with a 5% driver for some other mobile graphics chipsets, ya i know, their accomplishments are largely overated and they are far from a stable driver thats well integrated with the linux ecosystem and they are not much more than tech demos or decoding tools, but at least they have more to show than a paragraph on a page nobody visits.

Comment

my post in Linux General contained this link too: http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/529522/854aed3fb6398b79/ thoughtful details all the way, also the comments are much on topic

good read, sad topic

Comment

Like all extremists, they tend to exagerate and eventually end up being isolated by themself. I'm sure Stallman is smart enough to not finish in this way (the same way dictators end).

At the same time, no one should ever say or think that GNU is obsolete. That is completley wrong and "dangerous" statement.

Comment

Working...
                    X