Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes Their Next-Gen Tegra 4 Code

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes Their Next-Gen Tegra 4 Code

NVIDIA released Linux kernel patches this morning for supporting their next-gen "Tegra 4" SoC under Linux. A few details were revealed within the code commits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where is the 72 gpu core number from? I've heard a lot of completely different statistics on the Tegra 4 gpu (the architecture its based on, the clock rate, the core count, etc) and 72 is the highest number I've heard yet. Seems like quite the jump from the 12 cores of Tegra 3 (though if it is based off Kepler, we should expect big core numbers).

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      Where is the 72 gpu core number from? I've heard a lot of completely different statistics on the Tegra 4 gpu (the architecture its based on, the clock rate, the core count, etc) and 72 is the highest number I've heard yet. Seems like quite the jump from the 12 cores of Tegra 3 (though if it is based off Kepler, we should expect big core numbers).
      From the slides shown here and other places

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        From the slides shown here and other places
        http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+Tegr...ticle29448.htm
        Thanks for the source :P

Comment

GPU "core" numbers == Bogomips

But they get bigger and bigger so they are perfect fit for PR materials.

Comment

Glad to see Nvidia is working on open source drivers for Tegra 4. Kernel 3.9 is a little later than I expected it, and it might not even be fully done for that, but sounds pretty good overall.

Comment

Everyone here seems to have missed something really important - VP8 encoding/decoding support. A patent-free audio/video format with actual hardware acceleration. It sounds like Google has big plans for WebM and Android - it may be that more Youtube videos will be converted to WebM, and we can actually play most videos in Firefox/Chromium/other browsers without having to use Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                Everyone here seems to have missed something really important - VP8 encoding/decoding support. A patent-free audio/video format with actual hardware acceleration. It sounds like Google has big plans for WebM and Android - it may be that more Youtube videos will be converted to WebM, and we can actually play most videos in Firefox/Chromium/other browsers without having to use Flash.
                In fact, most of youtube videos are already converted. Yet for some reason not all videos are directly playable so far. If they do not play with "watch?v=video_id" try youtube.com/embed/video_id and see: in fact they have webm copy on their servers. And it plays. There are some rare exceptions but 90+% videos are available this way already. And yeah, there are many SoC vendors announced hardware VP8 support. It's fairly predictable granted that google gives away ip block free of any royalties, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes Their Next-Gen Tegra 4 Code
                  ...but I failed to understand how it related to opensource AMD drivers

Comment

Working...
                  X