No announcement yet.

2012 GNOME User Survey Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At most what we can say of Gnome 3 from the results is it's far from gaining unanimity:
    • there are almost as many people who think it's better [than one year ago] as those who don't
    • satisfaction is mixed but very few are completely satisfied with it.
    • it is unclear whether it is an improvement or not

The only word that summarizes it all is: controversial.

But we didn't need an enquiry for that!

Comment

Originally posted by VinzC View Post
      At most what we can say of Gnome 3 from the results is it's far from gaining unanimity:
      • there are almost as many people who think it's better [than one year ago] as those who don't
      • satisfaction is mixed but very few are completely satisfied with it.
      • it is unclear whether it is an improvement or not

The only word that summarizes it all is: controversial.

But we didn't need an enquiry for that!
      What I read out of the survey:
      1. of the people taking the survey, as many people using Gnome3 as Gnome2, KDE and Unity together
      2. 3 out of 4 people are OK with Gnome3 or find it an improvement to Gnome2
      3. most people are satisfied with Gnome3 and were also satisfied with Gnome2

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
        Who the hell uses Gnome on a tablet? Seriously, if anyone from the 59 is reading this, can you really use Gnome on a tablet? I have a feeling some things are just too small.
        Having used it on a thinkpad tablet I can say that it is technically usable but only in the same way XP was touch friendly. In some ways its worse since so many actions are edge oriented (rather than gesture based) and X has a problem, as I understand it, with touchscreen edges.
        In short it is a terrible touch interface.
        If they wanted an interface that morphed they shouldve gone with something mor flexible like HTML/CSS.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          Having used it on a thinkpad tablet I can say that it is technically usable but only in the same way XP was touch friendly. In some ways its worse since so many actions are edge oriented (rather than gesture based) and X has a problem, as I understand it, with touchscreen edges.
          In short it is a terrible touch interface.
          If they wanted an interface that morphed they shouldve gone with something mor flexible like HTML/CSS.
          GNOME cant fix problems related to x or kernel drivers. Allthough the same GNOME crowd is involved here too. GNOMEs UI is prepared for the touch era and the lower levels will get there too. Lets see in a half years time. Of course this matters NOT to the neckbearders; they will keep bitching. It is rather nice to see the "survey" puts GNOME3 ahead of all the GNOME2+mimics.

Conclusion: The remaining tin foil hatted neckbeards are left in the cold by the crowd converging to GNOME3. LOL. Merry christmas to all the neckbeards; this horrible, unusable "survey" shows you are as obsolete as the the now dead software you call GNOME2. Go rm yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Tablets in general have problems with touchscreen edges. The thing is that it's near impossible to put the pointer on a specific pixel. And at the edges, it gets twice or four times more difficult to do that, as only the surface above the pixels is sensitive to touch.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Tablets in general have problems with touchscreen edges. The thing is that it's near impossible to put the pointer on a specific pixel. And at the edges, it gets twice or four times more difficult to do that, as only the surface above the pixels is sensitive to touch.

Thats why I said that Gnome shouldve used gestures. However, theyve only just begun work in that area so lets hope this gets addressed.
              Also, iirc, mucrosoft had asked for improved drivers for touchscreens, especially on the screen edges. Ive played with w8 in stores a but and the screens handle off to onscreen gestures wonderfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto Dirksen View Post
                So, about 60% think Gnome 3 is about the same or better than Gnome 2, proving that the whiners are just another clueless, annoying, vocal minority, like the Tea Party, that just need to be punched in the face.
                I've found that those who resort to violence do so because they don't have an argument. We've got a troll here, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
                  I've found that those who resort to violence do so because they don't have an argument. We've got a troll here, guys.
                  No, not really. Punching a guy in the face can only be categorized as violence if the victim has some sort of brain activity going on. Your random phoronix LALALALA-IM_HATING_G3_THUS_ IT_IS_DOOMED!!1 lamer has a flatlined EEG anyway. So no this is not violence it is just sport and christmas fun like combining cabbage and explosives.

Comment

Working...
                  X