Require Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Require Feedback

Hello everyone, I am stumped right now with a decision I need to make.

I currently have a Intel E8400 CPU with a Radeon HD 4850 video card. Since AMD stopped releasing Linux drivers back with Catalyst v12.6, I am unable to play TF2 and quite possibly L4D2 which is the game I cant wait to play again.

Option 1: I have a brand new AMD A4-3400 which has a built in Radeon HD 6410D and would cost me about $70 for the motherboard. I can transfer my exisiting RAM.

Option 2: Upgrade my video card to a Nvidia 650 for around $110.

I have been trying to find benchmarks for the A4-3400 and although what I have found looks good when using Windows, I have found very little when using Linux. I also need to keep in mind that my current HDD is on it's way out and will require replacing soon so although the $40 savings with Option 1 may help get a new HDD sooner, I would hate to go that route only to find out that it still won't play games at a decent framerate.

Has anyone here tried the A4-3400 processor in Linux with different games like Oil-Rush and Valves TF2 Linux?

Thanks.

A new gfx card is usually a good idea to improve gaming speed. Just sell your new cpu and old gfx card.

Comment

Another option would be the open source drivers. I think I remember someone posting that they were running TF2 successfully.

IIRC performance was unacceptably slow on a 4650 but your 4890 should be quite a bit faster... might be worth a try.
      Test signature

Comment

@bridgman

Why don't you try TF2 on your box with oss drivers?

Comment

Normally I don't have time to even think about things like that, but if I'm in the office over the holidays might be able to swap cards and give it a try.

Good idea, thanks !
          Test signature

Comment

Good idea, you still don't have got a router at home to use Linux there? Or 2 pcs as Win can be used to share internet as well...

Comment

I have a router at home, but don't have a fast CPU, just old dual-cores.

Big issue is that downloading games over a cellular modem is expensive AND slow. I can live with slow, but hate paying $$$ for the privilege of waiting
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                you still don't have got a router at home to use Linux there? Or 2 pcs as Win can be used to share internet as well...
                I can't believe that but looks like Q stole Kano forum account.

Comment

I would be more likely you You advertise to use the new amd steam board and the only amd dev who posts there is bridgman who links back to steam community for the fglrx-legacy tf2 hack. I switch gfx cards very often and even have got initrd gfx binary detection for Kanotix - and i can use Linux at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    You advertise to use the new amd steam board and the only amd dev who posts there is bridgman
                    You perfectly know purpose of this forum. If previous arguments is still not enough, there is another one.

Comment

Working...
                    X