Thread: Require Feedback

Hybrid View

Default Require Feedback

Hello everyone, I am stumped right now with a decision I need to make.

I currently have a Intel E8400 CPU with a Radeon HD 4850 video card. Since AMD stopped releasing Linux drivers back with Catalyst v12.6, I am unable to play TF2 and quite possibly L4D2 which is the game I cant wait to play again.

Option 1: I have a brand new AMD A4-3400 which has a built in Radeon HD 6410D and would cost me about $70 for the motherboard. I can transfer my exisiting RAM.

Option 2: Upgrade my video card to a Nvidia 650 for around $110.

I have been trying to find benchmarks for the A4-3400 and although what I have found looks good when using Windows, I have found very little when using Linux. I also need to keep in mind that my current HDD is on it's way out and will require replacing soon so although the $40 savings with Option 1 may help get a new HDD sooner, I would hate to go that route only to find out that it still won't play games at a decent framerate.

Has anyone here tried the A4-3400 processor in Linux with different games like Oil-Rush and Valves TF2 Linux?

Thanks.

A new gfx card is usually a good idea to improve gaming speed. Just sell your new cpu and old gfx card.

Another option would be the open source drivers. I think I remember someone posting that they were running TF2 successfully.

IIRC performance was unacceptably slow on a 4650 but your 4890 should be quite a bit faster... might be worth a try.

@bridgman

Why don't you try TF2 on your box with oss drivers?

Normally I don't have time to even think about things like that, but if I'm in the office over the holidays might be able to swap cards and give it a try.

Good idea, thanks !

Good idea, you still don't have got a router at home to use Linux there? Or 2 pcs as Win can be used to share internet as well...

I have a router at home, but don't have a fast CPU, just old dual-cores.

Big issue is that downloading games over a cellular modem is expensive AND slow. I can live with slow, but hate paying $$$ for the privilege of waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    you still don't have got a router at home to use Linux there? Or 2 pcs as Win can be used to share internet as well...
    I can't believe that but looks like Q stole Kano forum account.