The First Unreal Engine 3 Game Ships For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post
    That i mean is a Linux_OS running Qemu-Wine-Windows_game under full x86 acceleration (x86 to x86 full).
    Again, why? It still doesn't make any sense. Wine on a regular linux install is still going to have less overhead (and more then likely a lot less compatibility issues as you are removing another layer of translation). If you were to run a native install of Windows in the instance then perhaps you might see a small gain but using a hypervisor to run a linux installation that is running wine emulation is just going to have the opposite effect of what you are trying to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Again, why? It still doesn't make any sense. Wine on a regular linux install is still going to have less overhead (and more then likely a lot less compatibility issues as you are removing another layer of translation). If you were to run a native install of Windows in the instance then perhaps you might see a small gain but using a hypervisor to run a linux installation that is running wine emulation is just going to have the opposite effect of what you are trying to accomplish.

Safety reasons only. The regression is less than 5% with direct access to the Gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
        Safety reasons only. The regression is less than 5% with direct access to the Gpu.
        Which brings in another item. Direct access is only available to CPU and chipsets that support VT-d or AMD-Vi and there are much easier ways to make the system "safer" then going through a convoluted way of a VM

Comment

As a gamer I am much more concerned about overheard and compatibility than concerns about having foreign software on my computer. That is why I support native game titles.

Comment

Working...
          X