The First Unreal Engine 3 Game Ships For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post
    It seams Unreal 3 gives Wine platinum titles www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Ir7DlXJEI
    UE4 is based on Direct3D 11.

Do I need say more? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dashiva View Post
      Edit: Game fires up but won't respond to input. I'd bet money it's something to do with SDL2.
      Not sure what that is.. Seems to happen to me occasionally, too. I suspect it has to do with the mouse-capture interfering with the window manager, but that's just a gut feeling. Alt-Tabbing away and back sometimes seems to help, but sometimes I have to ^C and restart the game. At least with a little effort, I can get the game to respond.

Fullscreen seems to be hosed too, but it works if I set the resolution to my monitor's size, leave it windowed, and use my window manager to make it full-screen.

This really doesn't feel like a finished Linux port. Hopefully they will release a new version that takes care of some of this stuff.

Comment

It seams Unreal 3 gives Wine platinum titles www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Ir7DlXJEI
        It's "Unreal Engine 3". You can abbreviate it as UE3. "Unreal 3" would be the name of an SP FPS game (like Unreal and Unreal II).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          UE4 is based on Direct3D 11.

Do I need say more? ;-)

???_???_???. There is not a graphics engine that doesn't have an OpenGL counterpart. Newest engines are api-recognitive, they have an OGL "or" D3D choice but without back-ends. So the graphics data are written to GLSL source "or" bytecode, or HLSL source "or" bytecode, and they have extensions to manipulate data from GLSL to HLSL or the opposite. Also they don't use things that are fast to one api and slow on the other, that's a programming merge of the two technologies. I thing there will be an engine that will not have D3D support and if i remember correctly that will be ID-Tech_6 with voxel-raytracing.

Comment

I'm getting really sick of these "Linux games" that have no mention whatsoever of Linux support on their websites. Linux is, time and time again, taking a back seat to Windows and Mac. You released a Linux port? Okay, where the hell is it? You're trying to hide it from the world? Hide it in the Humble Bundle, and not even SAY ANYTHING about it on your site that you have a Linux version? Not even a fucking link to the Humble Bundle for the Linux version?

No mention of Linux whatsoever???

What is going on? Are they being paid to silence information about Linux?

IF YOU MAKE A LINUX GAME, YOU SHOULD WANT TO TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THAT FACT ON YOUR WEBSITE.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
              I'm getting really sick of these "Linux games" that have no mention whatsoever of Linux support on their websites. Linux is, time and time again, taking a back seat to Windows and Mac. You released a Linux port? Okay, where the hell is it? You're trying to hide it from the world? Hide it in the Humble Bundle, and not even SAY ANYTHING about it on your site that you have a Linux version? Not even a fucking link to the Humble Bundle for the Linux version?

No mention of Linux whatsoever???

What is going on? Are they being paid to silence information about Linux?

IF YOU MAKE A LINUX GAME, YOU SHOULD WANT TO TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THAT FACT ON YOUR WEBSITE.

I agree to, but i don't want closed garbage inside my file-system. So i prefer Wine-platinum titles and not native Linux clients. If there where a Wine-Qemu(kvm) patch that will be awesome for security. If someone want to do a Wine-platinum game, he must work with open things like OpenGL. Today's tools are easy to use, you can have OpenGL choice easy with new graphics engines, audio machines like port-audio, and finally equality on programming interfaces: regardless if something is compiled with microsoft C compilers (or NET for example), it must execute flawless on the Linux counterpart GCC (or Mono for example). Having installed MSVCR for example via Wine-tricks is near evil. I think new graphics engines do that by default.

Comment

How does running something in Wine keep "closed garbage" off of your file system? Most odd excuse for crippling native Linux titles I have ever seen.

You do know you can install native applications anywhere you want too, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  How does running something in Wine keep "closed garbage" off of your file system? Most odd excuse for crippling native Linux titles I have ever seen.

You do know you can install native applications anywhere you want too, right?

As i said, not under Wine, but under Wine-Qemu(Kvm). Or better under Wine + Virtual environment. It only takes less than 5% from the Cpu.

Comment

As i said, not under Wine, but under Wine-Qemu(Kvm). Or better under Wine + Virtual environment. It only takes less than 5% from the Cpu.
                    Wine-Qemu would not make any sense. What would you propose to be the native OS of the KVM instance?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Wine-Qemu would not make any sense. What would you propose to be the native OS of the KVM instance?

That i mean is a Linux_OS running Qemu-Wine-Windows_game under full x86 acceleration (x86 to x86 full).

Comment

Working...
                      X