Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.10 RC1 Released

Phoronix: KDE 4.10 RC1 Released

The KDE development camp has announced the immediate availability of the first release candidate for the forthcoming KDE 4.10 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IDK how KDE can have some of the best visual effects and capabilities of any desktop... and yet remain so cluttered and ugly looking (by default).

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
      IDK how KDE can have some of the best visual effects and capabilities of any desktop... and yet remain so cluttered and ugly looking (by default).
      It's solely to make whiny bitches like you cry on Phoronix. It's not like esthetics are a matter of personal preference or so. No, the choice was made just to make you cry.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        It's solely to make whiny bitches like you cry on Phoronix. It's not like esthetics are a matter of personal preference or so. No, the choice was made just to make you cry.
        A person can't post their negative opinions on the internet now without being a "whiny bitch"? Guess you shouldn't have posted your negative opinions about my opinions cause, by your own standards, that makes you a whiny bitch. At least I, in the process of criticizing a thing, managed to also compliment it and acknowledge that it can be changed to look good, it just isn't _by default_ (IMO <-- oh whoops, I forgot to put "IMO" on my first post.. maybe that's why you're upset, because without that explicit qualifier you couldn't distinguish the difference between an objective truth, and someone's opinion).

Comment

A person can't post their negative opinions on the internet ...
          They can, but to what end?

Comment

I disagree - as that sort of thing is easily fixed (download a new theme, import some Windows fonts, etc., etc.). The real kicker is the utterly s**t GTK integration. That is the real pain in the "preverables"... Even the light-weight Razor-Qt manages to better integration of GTK applications... Some just look like Windows 3.1.1/CDE - perhaps just gaps in the gtk-qtcurve theme... An "official" KDE way to support native kdialog file save/load support for GTK applications would also be nice... There is no Qt-build equivalent of Inkscape or The Gimp after all...

Ah well mustn't grumble...

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
              I disagree - as that sort of thing is easily fixed (download a new theme, import some Windows fonts, etc., etc.).
              Yeah, I've seen some excellent KDE systems around the internet, so I know it can be made to look very nice. But every time I try it, there's just so many little buttons on all the apps, and they're all different colors and the icons don't seems to match very well... I mean, even that little "Activity Switcher" on the task bar (the red/green/blue dots) looks very out of place, and it's one of the main things... plus, while the animations look very slick by themselves, by default they're a little to slow and they happen on everything so it's a bit distracting...

anyways, I know "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", but I really think KDE's design team could take a lesson from the Elementary team. There is something to be said for simplicity, even beyond aesthetics. You draw the users eye to key UI controls, and hide more advanced options behind a "settings button" (too many items is distracting).. I makes it easier to use for newbs and pro's alike, as we have a much easier time remembering a hierarchical structure over a flat list.

Comment

A person can't post their negative opinions on the internet now without being a "whiny bitch"? Guess you shouldn't have posted your negative opinions about my opinions cause, by your own standards, that makes you a whiny bitch. At least I, in the process of criticizing a thing, managed to also compliment it and acknowledge that it can be changed to look good, it just isn't _by default_ (IMO <-- oh whoops, I forgot to put "IMO" on my first post.. maybe that's why you're upset, because without that explicit qualifier you couldn't distinguish the difference between an objective truth, and someone's opinion).
                You are a self-centered whiny bitch because you expect KDE to follow your and only your taste. There are countless people who are very happy with the default look of the Plasma Workspaces. Something has to be default and there is no reason why your preference should be followed.
                Personally I'm not a fan of Air (the default Plasma theme). IMO it's too bright. Do you see me whine and bitch about it? No! I simply change the Plasma theme to Slim Glow without making a huge fuss about it!

In the end it's the distributor's duty to pick defaults. So if a distributor wants to target whiny Elementary fanboys as user base, the distributor just has to pick the defaults accordingly.

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                I disagree - as that sort of thing is easily fixed (download a new theme, import some Windows fonts, etc., etc.). The real kicker is the utterly s**t GTK integration. That is the real pain in the "preverables"... Even the light-weight Razor-Qt manages to better integration of GTK applications... Some just look like Windows 3.1.1/CDE - perhaps just gaps in the gtk-qtcurve theme... An "official" KDE way to support native kdialog file save/load support for GTK applications would also be nice... There is no Qt-build equivalent of Inkscape or The Gimp after all...
                And why should it even be KDE's responsibility to care about GTK application? The Gnome devs don't give the slightest fuck about integrating Qt/KDE in Gnome.

That said, even though KDE do not have any responsibility to GTK and contrary to your completely wrong claims, they develop GTK2 and GTK3 version of Oxygen (QtCurve is a 3rd party theme). The ?Windows 3.1.1/CDE? look you describe sounds like some apps are using GTK3. kde-gtk-config (developed by KDE) lets users define GTK2 as well as GTK3 themes. If there is no GTK3 version of QtCurve, go bitch to the QtCurve author(s) and not KDE.

Qt can also load GTK2 themes and when running under Gnome Qt applications use Gnome?s save/load window. Using KDE?s save/load windows in GTK applications requires GTK to support it. That's something the Gnome devs must be willing to implement and nothing to hold against KDE.
                Back in the days of KDE2 or 3 the KDE devs wrote a GTK patch to do exactly that. It never was accepted into GTK.

Comment

Woah, far out. This is the first time I've heard GTK's horrible file dialog used against KDE.

Comment

Working...
                  X