Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2D Support On Old Intel Hardware: Nothing But Misery

Phoronix: 2D Support On Old Intel Hardware: Nothing But Misery

While Intel finally has stable i830/i845 graphics support for the decade-old Intel hardware that was notorious in recent years on Linux since the GEM/KMS migration, the 2D acceleration support is "nothing but misery" as described by an open-source Intel Linux developer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: 2D Support On Old Intel Hardware: Nothing But Misery

While Intel finally has stable i830/i845 graphics support for the decade-old Intel hardware that was notorious in recent years on Linux since the GEM/KMS migration, the 2D acceleration support is "nothing but misery" as described by an open-source Intel Linux developer...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI1NTM
    You clearly didn't read the article, otherwise you would have got the headline and your abstract right.

For the first time in *years*, there is stable support for i830 in the current driver.
    For the first time *ever*, there is fast 2D acceleration available on Linux for i830!

Horray

Comment

I gave up on i845 chipsets years ago. I bought a cheap Nvidia card for my customer that had an i845 integrated video device. I then recycled all i845 systems I had that didn't have at least an AGP port. Just not worth the effort anymore.

However, i855 is still important for old laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
        You clearly didn't read the article, otherwise you would have got the headline and your abstract right.
        Yes, I can't say I'm impressed with the reading comprehension in this post. From the very first paragraph of the linked article, we have:

The introduction of KMS and GEM into the i915 driver broke the i830/i845 chipsets, and a lots of hearts. But fear not! A decade after its introduction, we finally have a driver that is not only stable, but capable of accelerating firefox.
        Not quite the same thing as "nothing but misery", which Michael seems to have taken entirely out of context...

Comment

Bad headline

Yeah, I agree that the headline and summary don't agree with what the blog post actually says.

Michael, Slashdot is NOT an example of good journalism. Please don't emulate it.

Comment

Working...
          X