Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBO+TBO Support Comes To Radeon R600 Gallium3D

Phoronix: UBO+TBO Support Comes To Radeon R600 Gallium3D

David Airlie recently published UBO and TBO patches for Gallium3D that allowed the Softpipe driver to work with the OpenGL Uniform Buffer Object and Texture Buffer Object features. Airlie has now worked on AMD's R600 Gallium3D driver to support these OpenGL 3.x features as part of GLSL 1.40 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Radeon got lots of work lately

The Radeon driver has gotten lots of work lately from AMD and Marek.
    It seems to be advancing quite nice lately.

Maybe soon it can be good and actually run games and work sweet?
    And be fast and all that and run latest games too...

Too bad Nvidia isn't as open as AMD.
    Too bad Nouvou driver doesn't get as much love.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Maybe soon it can be good and actually run games and work sweet?
      What are you trying to do with it that doesn't already work?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        What are you trying to do with it that doesn't already work?
        I don't know.
        I haven't tried it.
        I got a Nvidia card and have stayed away from AMD cards because of poor drivers.
        I've heard that AMD drivers really suck.
        But lately, I've read lots of news about improvements to the AMD driver.

Comment

I don't know.
          I haven't tried it.
          I got a Nvidia card and have stayed away from AMD cards because of poor drivers.
          I haven't had a single crash in months (could be years already ), kwin with compositing works without problems and I can play TF2 and other games just fine (even with kwin compositing enabled). For me it has everything I need.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
            I haven't had a single crash in months (could be years already ), kwin with compositing works without problems and I can play TF2 and other games just fine (even with kwin compositing enabled). For me it has everything I need.
            Are you using open source or proprietary drivers?
            If its open source, then thats pretty cool you can play Source engine games on open source.
            What graphics card do you have?

I wonder if you can play newer games too.
            Also wonder how open source Radeon performs against proprietary Catalyst.

Comment

Yeah, the funny thing about it is that I have a Radeon HD 4890 card (so it can only run fglrx Legacy now). The latest game that I bought, Expeditions: Conquistador that uses Unity 4 (I'm a beta tester), actually runs faster when using r600g than when using fglrx. It's still a bit slow at times, but then it's also a bit slow in the same places on Windows as well. I have no clue how that works, but it's amazing. And I'm not even using the latest Mesa release (although I am using some extra tweaked settings in xorg.conf.d). Of course, it's a circumstantial case, but I find it mighty impressive.

Comment

I don't know.
                I haven't tried it.
                It's funny, because it seems like most of the people claiming it sucks are like you - nvidia users who haven't even tried the AMD driver because they've heard it sucks so much.

Comment

Are you using open source or proprietary drivers?
                  If its open source, then thats pretty cool you can play Source engine games on open source.
                  What graphics card do you have?
                  open source driver with a radeon HD5770:
                  OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER
                  OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.1-devel (git-f842c60)
                  OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

I wonder if you can play newer games too.
                  Also wonder how open source Radeon performs against proprietary Catalyst.
                  Besides TF2 I don't own really demanding/new games, just some stuff from a few humble indie bundles. But they all work.

/edit:
                  Last time I tried Catalyst it was faster but less stable. But this was in 2010 or something like that. I switched to the open source driver completely and since then and haven't had any major problems. Just that it's less fast and power management is a manual task I have a plasma widget for power management (switching from low to high profile when playing demanding games).
                  Last edited by droste; 16 December 2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    It's funny, because it seems like most of the people claiming it sucks are like you - nvidia users who haven't even tried the AMD driver because they've heard it sucks so much.
                    I've used both and pretty much agree with him on the drivers. :|

Comment

Working...
                    X