Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's A New Linux CPU Scheduler Based Upon BFS

Phoronix: There's A New Linux CPU Scheduler Based Upon BFS

A new CPU scheduler for the Linux kernel was announced on Saturday. This new scheduler is based upon the controversial "Brain Fuck Scheduler" scheduler but attempts to support multiple run-queues for better CPU scaling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i really don't get the fuzz about BFS. at best it performes as well as CFS. the only disadvantage of cfs is that you need to configure it properly for some specific hardware (like smartphones etc.).

we'll see how well this new one will evolve.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
      i really don't get the fuzz about BFS. at best it performes as well as CFS. the only disadvantage of cfs is that you need to configure it properly for some specific hardware (like smartphones etc.).

we'll see how well this new one will evolve.
      Supposedly BFS provides lower latances and better responsiveness on the desktop. On the server or where you don't care so much about latency CFS wins without a contest.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
        That's not entirely true. it really depends on what you mean by 'performs as good as..".

For example, I used BFS for about 2 years and it definitely had some advantages over CFS (on several machines), for my workloads (some of which, CFS could not keep up with using the exact same kernels). Particularly, low-latency With BFS, i could simply use schedtool to apply SCHED_ISO to jackd (X and other app which needed it) and have zero xruns. I could not get similar results with CFS, unless running an RT kernel. (or possibly doing a whole lot of tinkering, which at the time i had done and still didn't yield _as_good_ of results as BFS).

I think BFS has it's advantages for some. These days though, i am using CFS (because i use realtime kernels).

Comment

Don't know about BFS but CFS is total crap on desktop. Not even on Windows will your DE freeze while copying large files :\.

deadline scheduler ftw.

Comment

Working...
          X