Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Performance Preview On Linux 3.8

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Performance Preview On Linux 3.8

With word this week that there's some performance improvements for the open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver to be found with the Linux 3.8 kernel as a result of the a-synchronous DMA engine support, some very early benchmarks of the "drm-next" code were done from five different AMD Radeon graphics cards. In extreme cases, the open-source graphics driver can deliver 10x higher OpenGL frame-rates with the experimental kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dear santa...

performance isn't that important to me - the games i have run perfectly well

what i'd like to see is my radeonhd 4650 do under/overscan from grub as my tv/monitor sucks balls when it comes to edid although catalyst can compensate from the gui

Comment

Random note: Xonotic was run with Low settings here, and produced no change. Xonotic on my machine with Ultimate settings tripled its framerate.

Also, what's up with that 6570? Seems like someone broke something, the question is where...
      Last edited by Veerappan; 14 December 2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Article
        While the a-synchronous DMA engine support is there on the kernel side, for exploiting its full capabilities is also user-space support that has yet to be integrated into the mainline repositories.
        Can this explain some of the problems here, or is that mostly due to the code being new and needing more time to get the bugs worked out?

Comment

I think I have had a similar bug, but with a different card series... https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50655

Anyway, with that bug I had some tests continue even though they had frozen for a time. PTS was able to detect this because the FPS changed, but then I would need to intervene. In most cases it would just run the test many many times and then call it done.

Look in the logs for GPU lockup / soft lockup / lookup for 1000ms etc. This might be a good thing for PTS to autodetect... Because it may be in some of your finished results..

Thanks!
          Bryan

Comment

Well thankfully, most of the performance regressions seem to be very minor (except with Nexius), and some performances gains are very prominent (when they're there). It does look like something got broke in the HD 5xxx series code though.

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
              Dear santa...

performance isn't that important to me - the games i have run perfectly well

what i'd like to see is my radeonhd 4650 do under/overscan from grub as my tv/monitor sucks balls when it comes to edid although catalyst can compensate from the gui
              You can adjust the underscan with xrandr using the underscan, underscan vborder, and underscan hborder parameters.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder what makes 4770 so special (it has basically only regressed here), and if it is the same when using higher-end R700 cards...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Hmm, I wonder what makes 4770 so special (it has basically only regressed here), and if it is the same when using higher-end R700 cards...
                  once on some kernel's DRM change for radeons my Radeon's 4730 (RV770CE) had all its video output garbled up, because some small thing for it had to be handled differently.
                  i damn hope, that i will not get 10x slow down now with 3.8 similarly

Comment

IMHO, these tests should start not only to be tested with discrete video cards but also with APUs like the A8-5500, A8-5600K, A10-5700 and A10-5800K...

Comment

Working...
                    X