Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Linux vs. Debian kFreeBSD With Squeeze & Wheezy

Phoronix: Debian Linux vs. Debian kFreeBSD With Squeeze & Wheezy

The latest benchmarking adventures at Phoronix.com have been exploring the performance of Debian GNU/Linux versus Debian GNU/kFreeBSD when using the latest Debian 6.0.6 "Squeeze" images as well as the latest Debian "Wheezy" testing images.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian's bigotness in not ditching the non-Linux kernels has caused it to become a backward distro as it cannot except advance software like systemd which are rejected by non-Linux kernels.

This benckmark is just one of many that shows that there is no advantage in supporting a bsd powered version in fact, supporting such a version drains precious human resources which should be directed at making linux better.

The inclusion of BSD licensed software is also likely to get Debian in alot of legal troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by BSD BullShitDistro View Post
      Debian's bigotness in not ditching the non-Linux kernels has caused it to become a backward distro as it cannot except advance software like systemd which are rejected by non-Linux kernels.
      Except systemd is in the wheezy (and sid) repos.

Comment

The inclusion of BSD licensed software is also likely to get Debian in alot of legal troubles.
        nice FUD you've got there

Comment

From what I see in the benchmarks, kFreeBSD is the superior I/O system. I'd assume the part which slows everything down is the broken GNU userland.

Comment

drains precious human resources which should be directed at making linux better.
            Yep, Linux really needs that. We all see it.

Comment

Linux was faster than kFreeBSD.

But kFreeBSD have done lots to improve in Wheezy since Squeeze and is advancing quite nice and looks like it is heading in the right direction to soon be on par with Linux.

Good luck to both Linux and BSD!

Comment

When FreeBSD 10 arrives which ditches GCC I'd like to see the tests with LLVM/Clang.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
                  From what I see in the benchmarks, kFreeBSD is the superior I/O system. I'd assume the part which slows everything down is the broken GNU userland.
                  From what I see another day another Linux win. But being serious kFreeBSD uses legacy UFS which is on Ext2 level and that's why it was faster in one of the test. Ext2, UFS don't protect your data as well as Ext4 which sometimes makes it little slower (but still, it's usually much faster).

Comment

Working...
                  X