NVIDIA 313.09 Linux Driver Packs New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ninez View Post
    As far as what you see at 21 seconds in, that isn't Cinnamon (i think) you are referring to 'Lightworks' (video-editor) that is running on linux - in it's alpha program, that has been mentioned in many articles here ~ i got into the alpha program and have been testing it! ... I've already had some bugs fixed I assume that's what you are referring to (blue screen?) because the only other desktop is MacOSX in the video.
    Yeah, I was reffering to this program. It looked like a DE to me, because of Unity like panel on the left.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      Yeah, I was reffering to this program. It looked like a DE to me, because of Unity like panel on the left.
      That's what i thought. You obviously recognized MacOSX (VM), as most people (unless they live under a rock) would, which left only Lightworks..

Lightworks IS pretty much a desktop environment in in itself, aside from being a video editor. It has it's own toolkit, dock, workspaces/rooms and window management... however, in using it daily - it actually reminds me of Gnome-Shell more than unity. One big similarity to GS is having dynamic workspaces/rooms for setting up all your windows/viewers/timeline/etc (and it saves your layout, in your project too - which is quite useful!). But yeah, the dock on the side is Unity/GS-ish - very handy for quick access to things though (and your rooms are available via a drop-down menu, which is easy access as well).

i'm actually working on a screencast right now in lightworks, to showcase some software that i have contributed _core_ ideas to, a patch and done all of the initial testing for. I'm going to upload to youtube when i am done

it's an app called WiiMidi and is pretty powerful software (for interacting with wii controllers, in linux), with some cool features; like converting Wii signals into MIDI (including raw midi), being able to control visual feedback from the wii remote's LEDs (including animations per control+), mapping multiple controls to a single button (including being able to cycle between each), being able to switch midi channels 'globally' (which in my case, means i can map the same 12 + 15 buttons to control different functions, depending on the midi channel used - 16 channels X 27 buttons = 432 mappings! (not including 'cycles') It absolutely slaughters/dwarfs what you can do with Cwiid alone (which is the library that supports wii on linux).. ~ it can also be used to control your desktop (by converting midi to keystroke via aseqkey), which allows me to use my hacked wii controllers in Lightworks to control things, or i could map controls for my DE hotkeys, or any other app(s)

anyway, i digress But do give Cinnamon a try, it is killer! (and is smooth with Nvidia)
      Last edited by ninez; 15 December 2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        What's qtcurve got to do with what you're describing? Also note that Cairo OpenGL support is marked as experimental, therefore not expected to work flawlessly to begin with.
        As ninez said, qtcuve applies to gtk too (qtcurve-gtk), and as firefox uses native widgets to draw buttons, input boxes and so on, the slower is the system to draw them, the slower will be the scrolling.
        This has nothing to do with cairo-opengl; nvidia in the past said they fixed the missing "gradient drawing" acceleration,that's why, some distros patched cairo to just rely on the cpu for that.
        If i disable that patch, i get very slow scrolling; that's all.

@Kokoko3k - Do you experience this problem, when NOT using qtcurve-gtk2? (it also appears to have a downstream patch for cairo).
        cheerz
        Qtcurve exposes the issue massively, but other styles seems to be are affected too:

Comment

i'm actually working on a screencast right now in lightworks, to showcase some software that i have contributed _core_ ideas to, a patch and done all of the initial testing for. I'm going to upload to youtube when i am done
          Then sir, we own you a lot!

it's an app called WiiMidi and is pretty powerful software (for interacting with wii controllers, in linux), with some cool features; like converting Wii signals into MIDI (including raw midi), being able to control visual feedback from the wii remote's LEDs (including animations per control+), mapping multiple controls to a single button (including being able to cycle between each), being able to switch midi channels 'globally' (which in my case, means i can map the same 12 + 15 buttons to control different functions, depending on the midi channel used - 16 channels X 27 buttons = 432 mappings! (not including 'cycles') It absolutely slaughters/dwarfs what you can do with Cwiid alone (which is the library that supports wii on linux).. ~ it can also be used to control your desktop (by converting midi to keystroke via aseqkey), which allows me to use my hacked wii controllers in Lightworks to control things, or i could map controls for my DE hotkeys, or any other app(s)

http://roland.entierement.nu/pages/wiimidi.html
          This simply looks amazing. I wasn't even aware something like this exists.

anyway, i digress But do give Cinnamon a try, it is killer! (and is smooth with Nvidia)
          That for sure. I was looking for such DE.

Comment

Then sir, we own you a lot!
            I'm not really sure about that The credit surely should go to the developer. (Roland Mas, A debian developer) I just took his old (python) code and added a 'proof-of-concept' for animated LEDs, then suggested global midi-channel switching and adding a few other options for midi. He then decided (after we had implemented and tested our ideas), to rewrite a chunk of the code, which i assisted in collecting all of the (hex) codes for wii devices. But all of the bit-juggling and implementation details he looked after.

anyway, I got an email last night with a new version (that supports the classic controller too), so i have to re-shoot parts of my screencast now. (but i don't care, since i wanted full classic controller support).

This simply looks amazing. I wasn't even aware something like this exists.
            it is pretty amazing. it's actually (imho) better than most of the other wii software for linux, win or mac in many ways. (ie: better than osculator, pd-l2ork, etc) it's really easy to configure and has (potentially) a lot of different uses. Aside from being used to control a desktop / apps (if using aseqkey) and aside from (me) using it to control a wii-based midid foot controller, I've also been experimenting with using it as a 'session controller' ~ where i map the buttons to control switching presets (on every synth/module) that i use. (ie: i can map 1 button to change all of my presets/program changes at once - which is handy when jamming live. I can just map a key for each song / set of presets, for fast switching

That for sure. I was looking for such DE.
            Yeah, cinnamon is good stuff

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
            Qtcurve exposes the issue massively, but other styles seems to be are affected too:
            https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152212
            I guess 'unico' engine must not be affected much. (which is what my theme is using).

Comment

Can you give an example of such an application? ...I ask because i am using the latest nvidia driver, with a not_so_basic gtk theme, cairo 12.4 (not patched) and i haven't noticed any slow scrolling in any application...
              Here's exaple of rendering gtk2 widget factory with Clearlooks theme.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
                Thanks for posting this. It's a very nice demo of how painfully crappy the blob actually can be for normal desktop use.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post

Gedgon, you've done a fantastic job on demonstrating this bug. Just a suggestion, you might want to visit nvidia devtalk forums and post a link to this video / bug, in kokoko3k's thread; https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...e-regression-/

I'm sure the added activity in that thread, a well-organized presentation of it, as well ~ probably wouldn't do any harm ;]

btw, nice job!

Comment

Working...
                  X