NVIDIA 313.09 Linux Driver Packs New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    Install and use qtcurve-gtk theme and open firefox on a page with a lot of buttons/checkboxes, then scroll it.
    like this:

Then install cairo-nvidiablob from aur and scroll it again.
    For me, vanilla cairo is jerky with the blob, smooth with everything else, i just tried again.

Report:
    https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...e-regression-/
    What's qtcurve got to do with what you're describing? Also note that Cairo OpenGL support is marked as experimental, therefore not expected to work flawlessly to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
      i like cinnamon better, as it seems a little more customizable and feels less like the DE is trying to force a certain workflow, but instead just allows the user to do what he/she wants. Imo, Cinnamon is probably the best DE (for me) given the choices.
      What are the things you can do with cinnamon that others can't do with KDE? Is it the start menu?

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
        What are the things you can do with cinnamon that others can't do with KDE? Is it the start menu?
        I didn't make a specific comment on cinnamon being able to do things that KDE can't. KDE is extremely customizable, it's just too buggy for my tastes. I don't like it's animations that slow down moving windows, nor do i like windows in expo exhibiting buggy behavior, etc.

Funny that you mention the start menu ~ I don't use slingshot (in cinnamon), and besides KDE's QML menu is actually fairly nice (not that i would use it either, though). I mostly use gestures via 'easystroke' for launching apps, mapping hotkeys, etc and use AWN/dockx for my dockbar / quick access to apps / window/app switching/management. ie;

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

the frame rate is a little off (i had to reduce in order to capture cinnamon's expo/scale), but i think you'll get the idea. (note: it is available in 720HD, for crispness)... There isn't much need for a startmenu (even though there is one, standard gtk2 style). Most navigation, launching apps, etc is done using my stylus (wacom tablet) + gestures (and/or via AWN) and i don't use a mouse at all (haven't for years!). Cinnamon panel has been reduced to a systray / notifications area, transparent and hidden (as shown at the end).

anyway, to me Cinnamon feels much cleaner than KDE (with less bugs!), but to each their own

SIDENOTE: I wonder if we are ever going to see sceencasting NOT producing artifacts, in composited environments in linux (particularly if you happen to also be running other gl apps.... it happens in pretty much every DE/WM (compositing WM) to some degree or another. it's super annoying - and i wonder if it is a driver problem or DE problem?
        Last edited by ninez; 14 December 2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          What's qtcurve got to do with what you're describing? Also note that Cairo OpenGL support is marked as experimental, therefore not expected to work flawlessly to begin with.
          qtcurve*-gtk* not just qtcurve: A configurable set of widget styles for KDE and Gtk

I think kokoko3k's problem is in part qtcurve-gtk2, but obviously nvidia is part of the problem too...

..but i think you happen to be confused about Cairo OpenGL support, in the second part of your answer... Cairo OpenGL support is marked experimental ~ but isn't that refering to the '--enable-gl=' build flag, which enables the experimental Cairo-OpenGL backend?!? (which fyi is disabled by default, on pretty much all distros and also in the cairo-nvidiablob package that he is using)...

@Kokoko3k - Do you experience this problem, when NOT using qtcurve-gtk2? (it also appears to have a downstream patch for cairo).

cheerz
          Last edited by ninez; 14 December 2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

SIDENOTE: I wonder if we are ever going to see sceencasting NOT producing artifacts, in composited environments in linux (particularly if you happen to also be running other gl apps.... it happens in pretty much every DE/WM (compositing WM) to some degree or another. it's super annoying - and i wonder if it is a driver problem or DE problem?
            Maybe it's an X problem? Could you describe how does it look like? I'm running KDE with Nvidia and I didn't notice a single problem so far. It's very responsive and rock stable combination.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              Maybe it's an X problem? Could you describe how does it look like? I'm running KDE with Nvidia and I didn't notice a single problem so far. It's very responsive and rock stable combination.
              erm, why would i need to describe what they look like, when there is a video link, in the very post you are responding to??? ~ that shows at least 2 examples...lol (there is one part when gedit paints funny - at the end, another when AWN isn't drawn and a couple of flashes). But that is in cinnamon and i will admit - not the best captured video due to laziness (but it doesn't even matter if it was 'perfectly captured', all the compositing WMs seem to interfere with screencasting, at times... i can produce similar things, to varying degrees in ALL composited WMs (including KDE/kwin). All one needs to do is watch a few linux-related youtube videos and you are bound to see exactly what i mean...

sometimes, you will see some random blue, artifacts, things not being drawn for a second ~ that kind of thing (which is something i do not experience on any Mac that i've ever owned, at all). That being said, it seems to be worsened in any linux environment, just by running say a VM with H/w acceleration and/or other OpenGL apps (some have no effect, while others seem to).

cheerz

Comment

erm, why would i need to describe what they look like, when there is a video link, in the very post you are responding to??? ~ that shows at least 2 examples...lol (there is one part when gedit paints funny - at the end, another when AWN isn't drawn and a couple of flashes). But that is in cinnamon and i will admit - not the best captured video due to laziness (but it doesn't even matter if it was 'perfectly captured', all the compositing WMs seem to interfere with screencasting, at times... i can produce similar things, to varying degrees in ALL composited WMs (including KDE/kwin). All one needs to do is watch a few linux-related youtube videos and you are bound to see exactly what i mean...

sometimes, you will see some random blue, artifacts, things not being drawn for a second ~ that kind of thing (which is something i do not experience on any Mac that i've ever owned, at all). That being said, it seems to be worsened in any linux environment, just by running say a VM with H/w acceleration and/or other OpenGL apps (some have no effect, while others seem to).

cheerz
                Pardon me, but I was so impressed about the video I didn't notice any glitches before.

Comment

Pardon me, but I was so impressed about the video I didn't notice any glitches before.
                  impressed?

I'm curious... How so? / Why?

Comment

impressed?

I'm curious... How so? / Why?
                    It looks amazing. I didn't use Cinamon yet and I wasn't aware it's so great. Btw. starting from 0.21 is this Cinnamon, too?

Comment

It looks amazing. I didn't use Cinamon yet and I wasn't aware it's so great. Btw. starting from 0.21 is this Cinnamon, too?
                      Yeah, i was never really interested in cinnamon until recently, but now that it has matured a bit - it seems to work very well. As far as what you see at 21 seconds in, that isn't Cinnamon (i think) you are referring to 'Lightworks' (video-editor) that is running on linux - in it's alpha program, that has been mentioned in many articles here ~ i got into the alpha program and have been testing it! ... I've already had some bugs fixed I assume that's what you are referring to (blue screen?) because the only other desktop is MacOSX in the video.

Comment

Working...
                      X