Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Call To Provide GNOME With Useful Feedback

Phoronix: Last Call To Provide GNOME With Useful Feedback

It's your last chance to participate in the 2012 GNOME User Survey to provide the community and developers with feedback on the popular Linux desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Last Call To Provide GNOME With Useful Feedback
    Misleading headline. This survey is not conducted by the GNOME project and will not be evaluated by them. A correct headline would be: "Last Call To Provide Phoronix With Feedback on GNOME"

Comment

The "survey" is highly opiniated and so the gathered data wouldn't be useful. The gnomers did good deciding not to participate in this.

Comment

Originally posted by moonlite View Post
        The "survey" is highly opiniated and so the gathered data wouldn't be useful. The gnomers did good deciding not to participate in this.
        True. The survey needs a few more questions. E.g. "Do you consider Phoronix to be a great place to do a survey?", "Do you consider the survey to be fair and able to provide GNOME with useful information?"

It would give the current abstaining people a way to voice their opinion. Right now the are silently boycotting this "survey".

Comment

01. Do you know what GNOME is?

Yes (skip to question 3)
          No

02. Which of the following best resemble your desktop?

Windows
          Mac OS X
          GNOME 2
          GNOME 3
          Unity
          KDE
          Other
          I wonder what the point of the second question is. If I answered "No" in the first question, how the hell am I supposed to know whether my desktop resembles GNOME 2 or GNOME 3? And if I know what GNOME is, why should I skip to question 3?
          Last edited by 0xCAFE; 12 December 2012, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Yeah, the poll is more or less useless. The only reason Phoronix has any interest in it at all (my guess, at least) seems to be to use it as gasoline for the GNOME3-flamewar.

Comment

This survey is a fine example of how to force a particular result in a questionnaire.

Examples of some of the options (you can't specify any others!) of improvements one can suggest:
              • More configuration options
              • Bring back traditional interface (GNOME 2)
              • Listen to users
              • Add minimize / maximize buttons
              • Reduce dead space in the theme
              • Developer attitude

Apart from the fact that this list is an incoherent jumble of truisms (like "Improved reliability / stability") and trolling, there's repetition ? "Listen to users" and "Developer attitude" are the same thing, no? ? and some obvious missing counteroptions where the language is very biased. All right, so maybe there are some people who think the developers need to adjust their attitude. I happen to think the cabal of whiny power users needs to adjust theirs instead, where's my "Power user attitude" checkbox? Questions like the minimise / maximise one, on the other hand, are specific to the point of farce ? it's pretty rare to hear users even say the words "minimise" and "maximise", and for people that care (like myself) using GNOME Tweak Tool is not exactly rocket surgery. In fact, 3.8 is going to be including extensions and configuration to placate die-hard GNOME 2 fans right from the install: this makes the presence of "GNOME 2" questions seem like an excuse to resurrect tired criticisms and have a group bikeshedding session.

Going deeper, there are subtle digs in pretty much all words used ? "an improvement" and "worse" aren't antonyms; the opposite of "worse" is "better", but marvel at how much less good "an improvement" sounds instead. It's like Larabel is offering respondents a scale of 0-10 to rate GNOME 3, but only letting them pick values below 7.

I happen to love GNOME 3, and I continue to be inspired by the energy going into refreshing the GNOME project. I use gnome-shell full time and it's the best DE I've ever used bar none: crucially, unlike xfce and awesome and ratpoison and whatever else, it's also intuitive enough for guests to use without having to fall back to a Windows VM.

So, Michael, I would love to answer a reasonably balanced and well-made survey about the GNOME desktop project, but yours is not that. I'll continue to read Phoronix with interest in case you ever decide to make one.

Meanwhile, I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that the GNOME foundation hasn't sent you a C&D for abusing their trademark to fuel your trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by supervacuo View Post
                So, Michael, I would love to answer a reasonably balanced and well-made survey about the GNOME desktop project, but yours is not that. I'll continue to read Phoronix with interest in case you ever decide to make one.
                For those that bother to read it, I didn't create this survey at all, I'm simply hosting it. The survey was independently created by the GNOME community on GitHub and then - as with last year - asked for it to be hosted on Phoronix.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  For those that bother to read it, I didn't create this survey at all, I'm simply hosting it. The survey was independently created by the GNOME community on GitHub and then - as with last year - asked for it to be hosted on Phoronix.
                  *Sigh*

It's got your name at the top of all the articles on your site in which you editorialise about GNOME's "disinterest" in this survey. Whilst I appreciate that it was Felipe Contreras (and not a single other person, looking through the revision history of the Gist you didn't link to) who put actual fingers to keyboard, I think it's fair to say that you are very close to it. Example:
                  Number of articles by Michael Larabel about Felipe Contreras' survey: 3*
                  Number of blog posts by Felipe Contreras about Felipe Contreras' survey: 0

*MTIyOTQ, MTI0OTU, MTI0MDg not including the 3 other posts which describe and link to it

So no, I don't think you can distance yourself from the 2012 survey, or its deficiencies / bias / weirdness.

Interesting footnote: whilst looking for anything from Felipe about the survey ? no tweets or G+ posts, either ? I wasn't able to find a single message about this year's survey in the GNOME desktop-devel archives. I'm sure you have a basis for your claim that "the GNOME Foundation still isn't interested in having a user survey": what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    This is NOT endorsed by GNOME, and the author is not GNOME community, really. Nobody are gonna use the results for more than the lulz. But I guess it is worth the *clicks*? Or can anyone get "surveys" hosted and making it hit the headlines three times during the survey and 10 times afterwards?

BTW you failed to report that GNOME is introducing a login session so the neckbeard poweruser crowd wont have to bother flipping af few buttons to recreate the 90s UI.

Comment

Working...
                    X