Thread: CPU Scaling On DragonFlyBSD, Ubuntu, CentOS/RHEL

Hybrid View

Default CPU Scaling On DragonFlyBSD, Ubuntu, CentOS/RHEL

Phoronix: CPU Scaling On DragonFlyBSD, Ubuntu, CentOS/RHEL

Yesterday I shared the latest round of BSD vs. Linux vs. Solaris performance benchmarks for a variety of workloads. In this article today are a couple extra results that happened during this recent performance testing on the Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0OTQ

Oh look, Dumbuntu fails again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
    Oh look, Dumbuntu fails again.
    Actually it's DragonflyBSD which seems to "fail" here.

Depends. If you stick in your shiny little Linux world, it's Dumbuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
    Depends. If you stick in your shiny little Linux world, it's Dumbuntu.
    While even DF BSD was so much slower than Dumbuntu you can just imagine how such utter crap like your freeBeSoDumb performs. It's so slow it's not even funny. You should tell them to stop compromizing further.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    While even DF BSD was so much slower than Dumbuntu you can just imagine how such utter crap like your freeBeSoDumb performs. It's so slow it's not even funny. You should tell them to stop compromizing further.
    what do you expect. you can't make a good OS in a basement. the best things things projects have done is create tools like openssl and pf.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigaldo View Post
    Actually it's DragonflyBSD which seems to "fail" here.
    DragonFly 3.2.1 actually scales better than Linux in those tests. It's the GraphicsMagick tests where DragonFly doesn't scale, but I tell you why. GraphicsMagick utilizes OpenMP, but the stock compiler in DragonFly didn't have OpenMP untill the current development version, 3.2 being the stable one, doesn't have it and thus the scalability curve is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_gunner View Post
    DragonFly 3.2.1 actually scales better than Linux in those tests. It's the GraphicsMagick tests where DragonFly doesn't scale, but I tell you why. GraphicsMagick utilizes OpenMP, but the stock compiler in DragonFly didn't have OpenMP untill the current development version, 3.2 being the stable one, doesn't have it and thus the scalability curve is flat.
    So bsd fanboys can't even read? DragonFly BSD didn't won a SINGLE test if you didn't notice.

So bsd fanboys can't even read? DragonFly BSD didn't won a SINGLE test if you didn't notice.
    OpenMP support should fix that situation right up.

Secondly, scaling /= true performance. So it depends what you are looking for I guess.

DragonFly BSD didn't won a SINGLE test if you didn't notice.
    Winning Phoronix tests isn't important, it's important to be competitive (and it is), even if it doesn't win a single test. But in fact it did win - Timed PHP Compilation at 12 threads.
    Last edited by joe_gunner; 12-12-2012 at 03:47 PM.