Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACPI Power Management Gets Improved In Linux 3.8

Phoronix: ACPI Power Management Gets Improved In Linux 3.8

The ACPI and power management updates targeting the Linux 3.8 kernel were already submitted to Linus Torvalds this morning. There's a whole lot of new work to look forward to when it comes to power management in this next kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the difference between "devfreq" and "cpufreq"? I get the impression that devfreq is more capable and comprehensive, but I'm not sure if it's meant to supplement cpufreq or replace it. I've been a longtime cpufreq user, but am curious, since it appears that devfreq may be better. However I haven't found much in the way of userspace packages (Gentoo ebuilds, for instance) for devfreq.

Comment

..." and yours truly."

Too much copy pasta, I thought for a moment Michael had started writing kernel patches too, lol.

Comment

Not enough of a hardware guy to know this offhand... will any of the items listed actually improve power consumption on linux systems running 3.8 kernel compared to 3.7? or is this mostly "fill in whats missing from the standard" stuff and "Has to be implemented by individual drivers to be useful" stuff?
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          ..." and yours truly."

Too much copy pasta, I thought for a moment Michael had started writing kernel patches too, lol.
          If Michael had started writing kernel patches, it would be "single handedly", of course

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
            What's the difference between "devfreq" and "cpufreq"? I get the impression that devfreq is more capable and comprehensive, but I'm not sure if it's meant to supplement cpufreq or replace it. I've been a longtime cpufreq user, but am curious, since it appears that devfreq may be better. However I haven't found much in the way of userspace packages (Gentoo ebuilds, for instance) for devfreq.

DevFreq controls DVFS and lets you hook chipsets other than a cpu into dynamic power management based on some sort of state notification.

From what little I can tell it can turn parts of a SoC on, off, and places between. based on demands. (appearrently the memory controllers are the main target)

However cpufreq is still used for the cpu because it a lot more refined towards that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              If Michael had started writing kernel patches, it would be "single handedly", of course
              I'm really scared about what Michael does with his other hand...

Comment

S3

As far as 3.2 any kernel release crashed when waking up from suspend to ram
                ( using an Intel Core i7-920 & ArchLinux x86_64 )
                Hope this issue is solved

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  I'm really scared about what Michael does with his other hand...
                  Holding a cold beer of course.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                  X