No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD, CentOS, Ubuntu, Solaris Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever been on ubuntuforums.org? Believe me, they would.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
      I would, but trolling the trolls is rather fun to me. It would not be a good idea to just let him spread his desinformation. People could actually believe him.
      Does it really matter?

Comment

It does. The more people know the truth, the less people will blindly believe that Linux is the only answer. Nothing is more annoying than religious Linux fanatics.

Comment

It does. The more people know the truth, the less people will blindly believe that Linux is the only answer. Nothing is more annoying than religious Linux fanatics.
          BSD fanatics are just as bad, same with Apple fanatics, and Windows fanatics, and <insert OS worshipper here>...

I don't think fanboys have to be so bad actually, as long a they stick to singing the praise of their 'chosen one'. It's when they become intent on attacking anything else that things quickly get ugly. Sadly the latter is very common.

I'm a bit of a Haiku fanboy, but instead of trying to cut the other systems down to size in order to make Haiku look better I simply put Haiku on a very high pedestal. Also I'm atleast objective enough to realize that I'm being very subjective about it ;D

Comment

Right, that's why I call an operating system a tool. ANyway, most fanboys I know are Linux fanboys. "You don't use Linux primarily? Boooo! You don't know anything about computers!" and/or "You are totally wrong, we are the only ones who know things".

I, personally, use Windows for my daily work on the desktop, Linux on my web server(s) and some BSD. I still think (objectively) BSD is the superior system. That's the difference from fandom: I know, recommend and use things which are inferior in certain manners.

Comment

In all seriousness though, the Phoronix benchmarks that are frequently used to compare Linux and BSD need serious updating because about half of them test compiler performance, not individual subsystems: I/O, VM, network stack, filesystem etc. People who benchmark should be aware of what the individual benchmarks actually test, and because everyone has different versions of compilers, it is unfair to use benchmarks that rely heavily on compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by BSD Sucks and Dies
                I'm sorry please look at the *BSD source codes (with is available for looking and closing) and compare that with the Linux kernel source code.
                I have. BSD is better designed. Easier to develop too, now that they ditched GCC and its (lack of) toolchain.

Comment

Right, that's why I call an operating system a tool. ANyway, most fanboys I know are Linux fanboys. "You don't use Linux primarily? Boooo! You don't know anything about computers!" and/or "You are totally wrong, we are the only ones who know things".
                  I have met bad, annoying, "religious", BSD fan boys quite a few times too. They are just as annoying, and you are kidding yourself if you think they are not, or that they do not exist. If you do think like that, then you start to fall into that category...

I am not terribly big on BSD myself and I prefer the GPL - that said most of this thread is pointless.

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                  I don't think fanboys have to be so bad actually, as long a they stick to singing the praise of their 'chosen one'. It's when they become intent on attacking anything else that things quickly get ugly. Sadly the latter is very common.
                  Well, as a general rule that is fine, but there is a differences between objectively criticizing something or attacking it. Not that anyone in this thread seems to be aware of how to stick on the right side of that distinction...
                  Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 14 December 2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X