DragonFlyBSD, CentOS, Ubuntu, Solaris Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BSD Sucks and Dies
    No actually it's trying to enlighten people about how dangerous and destructive BSD is to a person's life and freedom.
    Really? Could you please provide your definition of 'freedom'?

BSD is meanless and insignificant by itself(s) but they supply code big empires like MS and apple (because they can't make thier own code) which in turn strip people of their freedom so, BSD actually contributes to the proliferation of proprietary software and the subversion of people's freedom.
    You are missing too much... You need to remember why and how of BSD. Do you know the context where BSD originally was developed? It was from academy, way before MS and Apple. With this said, your judgement is unfair and, to some extent, even pointless. Because BSD preceded MS and Apple, BSD (together with the license) isn't a CONSEQUENCE of them, as you repeatedly seem to imply; they (BSD and license) were invented independently and, if you recall, the original intention was to FREE UNIX FROM AT&T.
    If Apple has taken BSD's code, and even if they don't return the enhancements, this is just a side effect I don't care about, because the original philosophy remains untouched.

Only when BSD dies will free software dominate over proprietary software
    Apart from this statement being totally wrong, I don't care who dominates the software scene.
    And, once more, it would be nice for you to provide what you meen by 'free', as this whole discussion ultimately boils down to this question.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
      That's how I felt with gNewSense. Took me an hour. Boring.

Uses more window managers/desktop environments than you might even know, a pleasure to the eyes, had no such problems.

Proven wrong.

See, your argument is "Linux has a wider audience, so it must be better."
      Thus, Windows must be better than Linux. Good riddance.
      I forget to mention that when Wayland is finally matured, pcbsd (together with all other BSDs) will finally be put down like a sick dog. Cant wait for that to happen

Comment

Why? X.org works.
        If it is not broken, don't fix it.

Comment

I think someone here is talking to himself - three accounts with similar names, similar join dates, and similar amounts of posts.

Comment

How long has Linux had corporate backing? I think it's quite pathetic that in all these years they haven't made a good desktop, while the BSDs are still chugging along with mere donations.

Linux could afford to employ at least 10 Dillons and McKusicks to lead the development. I think there is a significant difference in mentality between Linux and BSD. Linux: politics first, code second. BSD: code first, politics second.
            Last edited by joe_gunner; 12 December 2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_gunner View Post
              How long has Linux had corporate backing? I think it's quite pathetic that in all these years they haven't made a good desktop, while the BSDs are still chugging along with mere donations.
              Bah, what is this nonsense? There is no 'Linux' entity which decides on what to work on, there are corporations hiring full-time developers and there are individual contributors. The work they do mirrors the need of those corporations and those individuals. And as we've seen the focus of their needs is not the desktop.

The only real money thrown at putting Linux on the mainstream end user desktop is that of Ubuntu, personally I think that their efforts have benefited Linux greatly although I find some of their recent maneuvers very clumsy.

Looking past this we are now seeing this new exploding market of mobile computing which is reducing alot of the need the general populace have for desktop/laptop pc's.

And here Linux is amazingly well positioned thanks to Android in particular, and in a way so is BSD as parts of FreeBSD is used in iOS (AFAIK). Sadly that doesn't seem to benefit FreeBSD particularly. One would think that Apple could atleast sponsor FreeBSD as a donor given that they ship millions upon millions of devices using FreeBSD code, meanwhile Google which base pretty much all their stuff on Linux is a platinum sponsor of FreeBSD. Go figure.

Originally posted by joe_gunner View Post
              Linux could afford to employ at least 10 Dillons and McKusicks to lead the development. I think there is a significant difference in mentality between Linux and BSD. Linux: politics first, code second. BSD: code first, politics second.
              Ehh? I won't throw shit at the BSD's cause I think they are great projects, but Linux started out as a hobby project with no financial backing whatsoever, attracted individual developers who hacked away, corporate development came once the project was useable and it's not as if there was a lot of that either at the beginning. Cygnus and Red Hat came aboard early (Red Hat later bought Cygnus) and have been along for the entire ride but they were small fry back then. Nowadays there's IBM, Intel, Google, etc etc but Linux started from scratch as nothing but an enthusiast project.

As for the 'politics' remark, seriously? Have you read the mailing list posts pertaining to Mathew Dillon embarking on his Dragonfly BSD fork, do you know who Theo de Radt is and how he came to leave NetBSD (which he co-founded) to create the OpenBSD fork.

No, there is certainly no less amount of politics in the BSD sphere, this comes with the territory however. People are different, developers are different, their goals are different.

Comment

Just in case it wasn't obvious, I was trolling in response to the other Linux trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  I think someone here is talking to himself - three accounts with similar names, similar join dates, and similar amounts of posts.
                  Lol, you are right. And he really is answering to himself...

It's reassuring, that there aren't that many trolls - just a very busy one.

Comment

This is part of the way how operating systems technology advances by making sure that people do not hog on to technologically backward software like BSD and thus stall progress in advancement of advance and superior technologies like Linux and GNU.
                    GNU/Linux ?ber alles,
                    ?ber alles in der Welt!

One Operating System!
                    One Compiler!
                    One License!

Comment

Design wise, I find BSD better thought out then Linux. Linux is currently more developed though.

Comment

Working...
                      X