No announcement yet.

Need advice Linux laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for a laptop that's compatible with Linux (again). I was hoping to obtain a few suggestions/opinions/ideas.

I'm debating about:
    1) 13.3 v.s. 14.1 screen
    2) Intel graphics v.s. Nvidia dedicated graphics (probably 8400M)
    3) which brand and configuration

I suspect if I go for Intel Core 2 Duo cpu, Intel wireless and the graphics is a matter of preference (but, Intel graphics is easier to configure, I should be okay? Using Ubuntu?

For brands, I'm considering Dell, Lenovo Thinkpad T61, Asus and possibly, HP. I need to buy from a store (it's okay if I can order online but needs to be from a store) and budget is under 2K.

Is it better to get 2GB of RAM, best/fastest cpu I can afford, Intel wireless and either GPU card?

Comment

By going to the intel graphics route, you open up a couple of laptop options for you. Generally they should be good, unless you want graphics intensive stuff but are easy on the budget. You'll find a lot of options. I don't have a list ready though but you can scour this thread because a number of models were thrown in for discussion.

The one real weak point I have figured in my laptop here is wifi operability is dodgy. It's luck-based when I am able to detect my own hot spot and I extremely hate that. Sometimes when I reboot, it cannot find it anymore and sometimes it will. At times, I'll boot to Vista to connect to the wifi and it works out great.

My DVD rom drive also on Acer Aspire 5920g seems to be acting up too as I cannot seem to burn stuff. Other than that, I love my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        I'm looking for a laptop that's compatible with Linux (again). I was hoping to obtain a few suggestions/opinions/ideas.

I'm debating about:
        1) 13.3 v.s. 14.1 screen
        2) Intel graphics v.s. Nvidia dedicated graphics (probably 8400M)
        3) which brand and configuration

I suspect if I go for Intel Core 2 Duo cpu, Intel wireless and the graphics is a matter of preference (but, Intel graphics is easier to configure, I should be okay? Using Ubuntu?

For brands, I'm considering Dell, Lenovo Thinkpad T61, Asus and possibly, HP. I need to buy from a store (it's okay if I can order online but needs to be from a store) and budget is under 2K.

Is it better to get 2GB of RAM, best/fastest cpu I can afford, Intel wireless and either GPU card?

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          I'd rather have that little bit extra in 3D, which is why I'm specifically after nVidia boards.

Keep the suggestions coming, because I'm going to have to buy one fairly soon.

About Thinkpads, at first I was thinking of getting R61, until I found out it was a pain to install Linux. Dang Lenovo!
          For what it's worth, I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 model 2007, and one of my close friends has a Thinkpad R61.

The only issue we've both had is with the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG chipset. I say "issue" and not "problem" because, depending on your familiarity with the tools at hand, it's easy to fix: in our collective experience, the ipw3945 driver is trash. Most distros ship with (or can easily attain) the microcode needed for the iwlwifi driver. I know Suse 10.3 and newer ship with both and its easy to switch between the two, though it seems best to just plain get rid of ipw* to make sure it doesn't much things up.

Other than that, mine has an ATI X1300 chipset, which should speak for itself. My buddy was smart enough to go Intel.

Comment

I have said this earlier in this thread, but even at this time, one just cannot beat the dell vostro 1400. Its small and compact and light enough to be portable. Although 14", its form factor is similar to 13.3". Has Nvidia 8400m gs graphics and Intel core2duo. 2 gb of ram and 160gb hard drive. Add an 85Whr battery and even with discrete graphics it lasts a whopping 6+ hrs in linux (they claim 7hrs). Everything works in Linux - even the inbuilt webcam and microphone and bluetooth (and even the modem if anyone cares ). The wireless, though broadcom, is now well supported by b43 driver (and ndiswrapper if need be), and might be swappable with a ipw4965agn. All this within 800 usd (850 with ipw4965) is a dream deal. I must say, I have been very happy ever since I bought it late last year. Both for work and play. Everything works as it should in Linux .

Comment

I was close to gettin the Vostro, but those things are damn expensive here. I will say, it does look like a great laptop.

Comment

If you buy that thing, choose the 1490 WLAN, that can work with native Linux drivers. 1390 (default) currently needs ndiswrapper.

Comment

Hmm, I do have the standard dell wireless 1390 on my vostro (bcm4311 - 14e4:4311), and it works nice for me with b43. Even at airports . Ndiswrapper works great too and it was way more than just life-saver till kernel 2.6.22.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
                    I have said this earlier in this thread, but even at this time, one just cannot beat the dell vostro 1400. Its small and compact and light enough to be portable. Although 14", its form factor is similar to 13.3". Has Nvidia 8400m gs graphics and Intel core2duo. 2 gb of ram and 160gb hard drive. Add an 85Whr battery and even with discrete graphics it lasts a whopping 6+ hrs in linux (they claim 7hrs). Everything works in Linux - even the inbuilt webcam and microphone and bluetooth (and even the modem if anyone cares ). The wireless, though broadcom, is now well supported by b43 driver (and ndiswrapper if need be), and might be swappable with a ipw4965agn. All this within 800 usd (850 with ipw4965) is a dream deal. I must say, I have been very happy ever since I bought it late last year. Both for work and play. Everything works as it should in Linux .
                    I like the Vostro 1400 but it doesn't have DVI or HDMI. I might want to hook it up to my LCD monitor (if I'm at home) sometimes. Still, I am considering it but the Dells are somewhat expensive as well. My ideal laptops are 1) LG P300 (can't find; expensive) and 2) Dell XPS M1330 and the Dell Vostro 1400 would be ideal if it had a DVI port.

I have read the Intel wirless 4965agn is supported out of the box in Linux so I want a laptop that has that wireless card.

The other laptop I'm considering is the Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and although the Nvidia card in that chip is not very common, supposedly, it's supported in Linux? How well, that is the question. I read it's similar to the Nvidia 8400M GS (?) but I'm not sure to what degree, a user/owner would have issues. For most laptops (Dell, for e.g.), it's only a $100 upgrade from Intel integrated graphics to the Nvidia dedicated graphics so that seems to be worth it. Doesn't it?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                      I like the Vostro 1400 but it doesn't have DVI or HDMI. I might want to hook it up to my LCD monitor (if I'm at home) sometimes. Still, I am considering it but the Dells are somewhat expensive as well. My ideal laptops are 1) LG P300 (can't find; expensive) and 2) Dell XPS M1330 and the Dell Vostro 1400 would be ideal if it had a DVI port.

I have read the Intel wirless 4965agn is supported out of the box in Linux so I want a laptop that has that wireless card.

The other laptop I'm considering is the Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and although the Nvidia card in that chip is not very common, supposedly, it's supported in Linux? How well, that is the question. I read it's similar to the Nvidia 8400M GS (?) but I'm not sure to what degree, a user/owner would have issues. For most laptops (Dell, for e.g.), it's only a $100 upgrade from Intel integrated graphics to the Nvidia dedicated graphics so that seems to be worth it. Doesn't it?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
                      Honestly you can't got wrong with a Thinkpad those things are awesome. As for the nvidia VS intel I'd probably grab the intel one because it has open source drivers, it's cheaper in the case of the T61 and 2D graphics should actually work at a decent speed. Nvidia's series 8 gfx cards suck with 2D and the cards you are looking at aren't powerful enough for intense 3D graphics so that shouldnt really effect your choice.

For the thinkpad with the nvidia card phoronix did a review by the way http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...dia_140m&num=1

Comment

Working...
                      X