No announcement yet.

There's Another Linux Kernel Power Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too have noticed significantly less battery life on my ArchLinux Intel i5 (Sandy Bridge) based laptop since moving to Kernel 3.6. For a long while, I thought perhaps my battery was getting old; however, moving back to an older Kernel seems to have resolved the issues. Here's hoping that this really bad regression gets fixed~!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
      Has this been reported to the kernel developers?
      "I have also alerted other select parties and stakeholders to the outstanding issues, but once again, there is little external activity until the problem is tossed into the public spotlight."

I hope those "select parties" are kernel devs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
        Has this been reported to the kernel developers?
        Yup: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48721

Comment

"I have also alerted other select parties and stakeholders to the outstanding issues, but once again, there is little external activity until the problem is tossed into the public spotlight."

I find it incredible that even someone like Michael is experiencing this very same thing! The developers really should be more thankful for all the free testing they get from both volunteers and the solutions volunteers provide. Phoronix test suite is a real asset Michael is providing.

Comment

Open source development often happens in the direction that sparks the interest of some developer. Usually developers like doing new features for themselves rather than hunting for some obscure bug that is really hard to trigger.

When money is involved even really skilled people will do what ever is asked from them, even useless shit like porting standards compliant web pages to support IE 5-8
            Last edited by varikonniemi; 10 December 2012, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I am unafected by this bug

t5800 laptop

same battery life I have in 3.2 I have in 3.7

therefore following the logic of the pallidus ("that that does not affect me does not exist") I conclude this is of very minor importance

Comment

There's some discussion about this topic (and lots of affected users and some solutions, which seem to be only to be included in 3.8) described at the archlinux forum:

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  Is it just me or the kernel is becoming more and more buggy? I mean these regressions happen every month now...
                  No. It's just that no one found/reported them years ago.

Comment

If anyone remembers, there is another power regression in the kernel before the PCIE power regression. That is still to be corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
                      If anyone remembers, there is another power regression in the kernel before the PCIE power regression. That is still to be corrected.
                      Now if only they'd fix those before adding new features... perhaps a "bugfixes only" release.

In the meantime... many affected computers around the globe running linux * amount of wasted energy = huge amount of wasted energy.

Comment

Working...
                      X