No announcement yet.

There's Another Linux Kernel Power Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a HP Pavilion DV6 model 6173CL and I have this bug in all kernel version :-(

Comment

as strange as it seems I might have spoken too much too soon.

So I was just using this hardened gentoo thing with tor (I do engage in youtube trolling form time to time), and suprisingly enough the battery lasted much longer than ubuntu 13.04 did...

as unscientific as it is I confirm the power regression affects all laptops

Comment

As always Larabel is [ full of crap ].

$ uname -a
        Linux ultek 3.6.9-1.fu2013.x86_64 #1 SMP Sat Dec 8 07:26:15 EST 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        $ sudo dmidecode -s system-version
        ThinkPad T420

7.31 Watts, and 12 hours of battery life remaining using kernel 3.6.9. This is the same sky is falling story he reported in 2011 that I also [ thoroughly debunked ] this time with a slightly different flavor. Move on folks, there is nothing here to see.

The only thing important to Michael seems to be ad revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit View Post
          There's some discussion about this topic (and lots of affected users and some solutions, which seem to be only to be included in 3.8) described at the archlinux forum:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=150743
          "Nothing to see here" ? What about this?

Comment

Originally posted by fewt View Post

$ uname -a
            Linux ultek 3.6.9-1.fu2013.x86_64 #1 SMP Sat Dec 8 07:26:15 EST 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            $ sudo dmidecode -s system-version
            ThinkPad T420

7.31 Watts, and 12 hours of battery life remaining using kernel 3.6.9. This is the same sky is falling story he reported in 2011 that I also [ thoroughly debunked ] this time with a slightly different flavor. Move on folks, there is nothing here to see.

Results from one kernel, without comparison to an earlier kernel, and without full detailed hardware info, are meaningless. Also, what about the kernel bug linked twice already in this thread?

Comment

It won't affect Michael's Core i5-2520M or Lederhosen's Asus X53E with the Sandy Bridge graphics or gururise's Sandybridge machine, but kernel 3.7-rc8 has disabled rc6 on Ironlake again.

Comment

Originally posted by fewt View Post

Just like with the previous bug, your results are invalid for the general case, because you use some weird power thing, not the default configuration.

It so happens that most users will use the defaults, not the weird power thing. So the default tests carry much more value than tests with some custom config.

Comment

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
                  Results from one kernel, without comparison to an earlier kernel, and without full detailed hardware info, are meaningless. Also, what about the kernel bug linked twice already in this thread?
                  Since I'm the author of Jupiter and also the maintainer of my distributions kernel, I test dozens of kernels a year - as do other members of my team. For example I personally tested 3.6.7 last week and 3.4.19 a week or so before that. The kernel bug linked twice in this thread is a different problem - and not what Larabel reported.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Just like with the previous bug, your results are invalid for the general case, because you use some weird power thing, not the default configuration.

It so happens that most users will use the defaults, not the weird power thing. So the default tests carry much more value than tests with some custom config.
                    My tests aren't invalid - as I have said many times, the kernel isn't responsible for tuning itself for power management.

Comment

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
                      Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
                      Memory: 8192MB
                      Hard Drive: Seagate Momentus 7200 250GB (ST9250412AS)
                      Video: Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile (GT2+)
                      Network: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection, Intel Corporation 6000 Series Gen2 (uses 1 watt)
                      Desktop: GNOME 2
                      Display Driver: Intel 2.20.10
                      OpenGL: Mesa 8.0.4
                      Compiler: GCC 4.6.3
                      Filesystem: ext4
                      Resolution: 1600x900

Comment

Working...
                      X