Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 76 of 76

Thread: Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,776

    Default

    Amazing. As soon as someone points out something obvious, the troll parade arrives. I merely pointed out one of the shortcomings, which is why I believe that Linux can't make it in this market. Of course there are good and valid reasons for these problems most of the time. Yes, something doesn't work and there's a reason for it. Good. It still doesn't work. Knowing why doesn't help you.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Amazing. As soon as someone points out something obvious, the troll parade arrives. I merely pointed out one of the shortcomings, which is why I believe that Linux can't make it in this market. Of course there are good and valid reasons for these problems most of the time. Yes, something doesn't work and there's a reason for it. Good. It still doesn't work. Knowing why doesn't help you.
    Again, does it work when you plug it into your Wii? How is using your argument against other platforms "trolling"? You haven't actually made a decent point, really.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagefool View Post
    Again, does it work when you plug it into your Wii? How is using your argument against other platforms "trolling"? You haven't actually made a decent point, really.
    I wasn't aware that the Wii is a platform where you can run Linux kernel drivers. I must have missed the memo.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I wasn't aware that the Wii is a platform where you can run Linux kernel drivers. I must have missed the memo.
    So you don't think the Wii has a kernel and drivers or are you prohibiting your complaint to only Linux for some reason?

    Tell me, whats the difference that makes it so Linux cant be a gaming platform because you Xbox controller lights flicker, which means that same argument doesn't apply to the Wii or the Playstation?

    Whats next, complaining that CDs don't work in your tape drive?

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagefool View Post
    So you don't think the Wii has a kernel and drivers or are you prohibiting your complaint to only Linux for some reason?

    Tell me, whats the difference that makes it so Linux cant be a gaming platform because you Xbox controller lights flicker, which means that same argument doesn't apply to the Wii or the Playstation?

    Whats next, complaining that CDs don't work in your tape drive?
    The difference is that a userspace driver actually works but no one cares to fix the kernel driver.

    Lack of interest. Note how a horde of kernel devs rush to the rescue when a "regression" is spotted that makes PostgreSQL run queries 24 nanoseconds slower on some 200-disk RAID cluster running on a 64 CPUs 12 cores each setup.

    Linux is not run by people who care about video games.
    Last edited by RealNC; 12-18-2012 at 01:35 PM.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    The difference is that a userspace driver actually works but no one cares to fix the kernel driver.

    Lack of interest. Note how a horde of kernel devs rush to the rescue when a "regression" is spotted that makes PostgreSQL run queries 24 nanoseconds slower on some 200-disk RAID cluster running on a 64 CPUs 12 cores each setup.

    Linux is not run by people who care about video games.
    Oh, so you raised a bug and they told you they've replicated your issue but just don't care?

    Maybe the difference is people running PostgreSQL, of which there are probably many more of, actually play their part in the community.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •