No announcement yet.

Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Valve's Linux console going to use open source graphics drivers or does the user have to download and install proprietary drivers for it? As far as I know you can't ship Linux distribution with Nvidia or AMD proprietary drivers without violating the GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotgut View Post
      Is Valve's Linux console going to use open source graphics drivers or does the user have to download and install proprietary drivers for it? As far as I know you can't ship Linux distribution with Nvidia or AMD proprietary drivers without violating the GPL.
      What? Of course you can.

Comment

Originally posted by KameZero View Post
        What? Of course you can.
        Wasn't there some sort of a bruhaha years ago when a livecd Linux distribution came with Nvidia and ATI proprietary drivers installed? People started claiming that it's a GPL violation and someone threatened to sue. My memory is shit so I might be remembering this wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotgut View Post
          Wasn't there some sort of a bruhaha years ago when a livecd Linux distribution came with Nvidia and ATI proprietary drivers installed? People started claiming that it's a GPL violation and someone threatened to sue. My memory is shit so I might be remembering this wrong.
          if you compile them on every start, then there should be no issue

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
            if you compile them on every start, then there should be no issue
            Yeah, two-minute boots sure make for a popular Steambox.

Comment

AFAIK the usual model is to install the drivers when a new system is booted for the first time but not on subsequent boots.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Yeah, two-minute boots sure make for a popular Steambox.
                that was about a LiveCD, I'd guess Steambox will have some kind of permanent storage on which the compiled modules can be saved. That's what basically all linux distributions do. As I don't have nVidia card I don't know how they behave, but it usually is accomplished using DKMS.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Well, dunno, when I connect my XBOX360 gamepad in Linux, it starts blinking and never stops. All 4 leds. Annoying as hell. If they can't fix even that, what would make me think that Linux is actually in a position to attract gamers.
                  My Xbox360 pad doesn't blink, it blinks for a second then correctly selects pad 1 (same as xbox360 does)... I only have one XBOX gamepad so I can't test it in tandem with another one. how generic is your model or is the official xboxpc pad? Mines Generic (MAD KATZ)

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                    My Xbox360 pad doesn't blink, it blinks for a second then correctly selects pad 1 (same as xbox360 does)... I only have one XBOX gamepad so I can't test it in tandem with another one. how generic is your model or is the official xboxpc pad? Mines Generic (MAD KATZ)
                    Do you mean a clone? No, it's an original XBOX360 for Windows pad. Note that all the controls work just fine. It's that the damn LEDs won't stop blinking all the time. It can drive you crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Do you mean a clone? No, it's an original XBOX360 for Windows pad. Note that all the controls work just fine. It's that the damn LEDs won't stop blinking all the time. It can drive you crazy.
                      Not sure whats up. My original 360 for Windows LEDs function as intended.

Comment

Working...
                      X