Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    The kernel driver should be just working. But since it doesn't, we get to have an adventure on the interwebs on how to solve the problem. The recommendation then is to not use the kernel driver, but some 3rd party userspace driver instead, which has then to be configured through arcane acts of UNIX guru black magic.

Instead, how it should be working to begin with, is:

* Connect by gamepad.
    * Play games.

I rest my case.
    Here is what I did:
    * Connect my gamepad.
    * Play games.

No LED issues and no issues in games. XPad module works great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
      Here is what I did:
      * Connect my gamepad.
      * Play games.

No LED issues and no issues in games. XPad module works great for me.
      That's great for you. I'm happy.

Doesn't work here.

Comment

Doesn't work here.
        Which kernel are you using anyway?

Comment

Doesn't work here.
          Sorry it doesn't work for you. Works here.

Anyhow I don't understand what all the CLI hate is about I like the dual nature of Linux GUI/CLI.

Hunting for drivers and software in Windows is easy?

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
            Sorry it doesn't work for you. Works here.

Anyhow I don't understand what all the CLI hate is about I like the dual nature of Linux GUI/CLI.

Its not easy, and new stuff rarely works out of the box, but you do at least get it on the CD with a common installer.

Comment

Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
              Which kernel are you using anyway?
              3.7.1. Just updated today. Same problem. All four LEDs are constantly blinking.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post

It is. I find the driver (it's the easiest thing ever; just Google for "xbox360 controller driver windows" and I find the official download site), I install it, it works. I don't have to edit files and add background services in order to get my gamepad to work.

And this is only a single point of annoyance, mind you. I come across stuff that's not easy to set up quite often. System configuration in Linux is a major PITA.
                Last edited by RealNC; 18 December 2012, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
                  Its not easy, and new stuff rarely works out of the box, but you do at least get it on the CD with a common installer.
                  Wow yeah I just threw them out, God knows how old the drivers are on those things.

It is. I find the driver (it's the easiest thing ever; just Google for "xbox360 controller driver windows" and I find the official download site), I install it, it works. I don't have to edit files and add background services in order to get my gamepad to work.

And this is only a single point of annoyance, mind you. I come across stuff that's not easy to set up quite often. System configuration in Linux is a major PITA.
                  Jeez this is turning into a Linux isn't user friendly rant.

I'm sorry you have run into multiple points of aggravation however I somehow think we are getting off thread topic, even beyond your original detraction (which thankfully doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem). I cannot assist you in correcting said problem, so good luck.

Comment

Good luck to you. You're clearly not looking for advice to a problem, but rather just an excuse to bash Linux.

Comment

You can always do something about that, you know.

It's not that I disagree, I just don't find it entirely constructive to bash the system in the manner you've taken. First of all, you can't be generic if you want to list the problems. Only specifics matter, thus the number of other issues don't really quality as a problem until you're willing to put them down in text. Otherwise we're just gonna have to assume it's FUD.

Secondly, it's strange how you don't see how ridclous your initial bash was. Nobody has claimed linux is a gaming platform (yet), but what you're actually complaning about is that a controller made for a different system, by a company which is hostile to linux, exhibits some weird non usability breaking functionality that ruins the credibility of the entire platform.

Can you use your original PS controller in your XBox? How about that Xbox controler, will it work in any of Sonys consoles? Can you use Nintendo controllers in any of the above? No? I guess they're not credible gaming platforms then.

Comment

Working...
                      X