Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Continues Focusing On The Nexus 7 Tablet

Phoronix: Ubuntu Continues Focusing On The Nexus 7 Tablet

Ubuntu developers continue investing a great deal of time and resources on ensuring the Linux distribution runs smoothly on the Google Nexus 7 tablet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally we are starting to see real Linux on mobile devices, and not some crappy Android.

The good that comes out from this is not necessarily the Ubuntu, but the fact that if Ubuntu is runnable it makes pretty much any Linux runnable.

IMO the next mobile revolution WILL be real Linux. Jolla mobile has a Qt based phone coming out this year. Built by the same people who built the Nokia N9. I cannot wait

Comment

Yes, but I'd like X.org to become an optional part of the Linux stack before Linux becomes mainstream on desktops and tablets, otherwise people with serious app will hook into X.org to get extra flexibility and X.Org will stay on top for a lot longer. And I hate X with a passion while I have to deal with some of its API (xlib) it's so awkward bleehhhw
      Last edited by mark45; 08 December 2012, 03:49 AM.

Comment

The mer (sailfish) project already has a wayland/qt5/qml2 experimental fork available. Perhaps we will see the first real world application of wayland from the jolla mobile camp
        Last edited by varikonniemi; 08 December 2012, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Priority should be for multi touch drivers. How hard can it be, yet Ubuntu still isn't geared to work on tablets.

Comment

Am I correct in saying that the kernel is Andoid build?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
              Finally we are starting to see real Linux on mobile devices, and not some crappy Android.
              What's wrong with android?

Comment

Tablet is a information appliance not a PC

I am a Ubuntu user, I have it on my desktop computer at home.
                I have a Nexus 7 tablet, it is nice but I would not want Ubuntu on it.

A tablet is not a PC or a workstation, it is an information appliance.

I like Ubuntu on my desktop, but would not want it on my tablet.
                I like Android on my tablet, but would not want it on my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I am a Ubuntu user, I have it on my desktop computer at home.
                  I have a Nexus 7 tablet, it is nice but I would not want Ubuntu on it.

A tablet is not a PC or a workstation, it is an information appliance.

I like Ubuntu on my desktop, but would not want it on my tablet.
                  I like Android on my tablet, but would not want it on my desktop.
                  Well others would like to move between device types and work witht he same applications and files.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                    Well others would like to move between device types and work witht he same applications and files.
                    You can work with the same files using cloud storage. Such as Google Drive, Microsoft SkyDrive, Ubuntu One, Dropbox, or ownCloud, Git, rsync, etc.

But a 24" screen is different from a 7" tablet.
                    The applications would be different on such screen sizes.
                    On a tablet, you need applications with big buttons so you can use the touch interface to press them.
                    On a desktop, you don't want a touch-adapted interface with overly big buttons, because you use your mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                    X