No announcement yet.

Valve Expands Their Linux Beta Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my invite. Now if only I actually had a desktop Linux box...

Still searching for a good Mac-Mini-like Linux box.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
      I disagree.. KDE 3.X was absolutely great and KDE 4.8+ is great as well. Everything in the middle... Well.... Let's just say I stuck with KDE 3.X, plugged my ears, covered my eyes and held my nose until KDE 4.8+ came out... PHEW! At least the worst part is over! Hopefully no more major "upgrades" for a while.
      This. A thousand times this. But never fear, there are forum fanboys who will insist you don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        Got my invite. Now if only I actually had a desktop Linux box...

Still searching for a good Mac-Mini-like Linux box.
        If you haven't seen them, check out the Habey line of cases. It's about as close as you can get to the form/size/asthetics of the mac mini:

Newegg is proud to offer United States the best prices, fast shipping and top-rated customer service for Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics and more!

Comment

I missed out on the invite. How has the BETA been going anyway?

Comment

@KBentley57 -- Try this:

Originally posted by KBentley57 View Post
            Has anyone tried the TF2 beta? I just got my invite today, and tried installing it just to see how it ran on my pc. Every time I try to open it, I get a black screen with a movable mouse cursor, then it crashes back to the desktop. I haven't tried any other games as of yet. Running 12.10 x64
            Salut,

I am on Debian Wheezy/sid 64bit.

I haven't tested the beta version of TF2(it didn't show up in my list) but the "normal" one and I got the same problem. After looking after a solution in many posts, I found and try this:

I added these two lines in .bashrc (the user one not root)

export LANG=C;
            export LC_NUMERIC=C;

Then, I was able to start and play TF2. The only issue I encourted was about missing letters(replaced by blank spaces) in some text like "W lcome in ..." but TF2 ran quiet well.

For information, check if you client version is up to date(directly in the Steam client), I did it and it worked.

I hope it will help you.

Enjoy,

A+
            Debcool

PS:
            Steam Games list for Linux:
            http://store.steampowered.com/search...s=linux&page=1

Steam Linux Hub:
            http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410#scrollTop=0

Debian Post ( by Cyb.org and including his & Kano's script):
            http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...8613928324/#p1
            Last edited by Debcool; 08 December 2012, 05:34 AM.
            Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

Any of you guys testing the games with open drivers (non intel that is)?? Are they good enough??

Comment

Goddamit, ever since I upgraded to Fedora 17 my binary AMD driver got broken..
                I guess I'll just create a separate Ubuntu partition for testing

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Any of you guys testing the games with open drivers (non intel that is)?? Are they good enough??
                  Personally not touching Steam myself, but in the case of TF2 I heard that things are apparently running fine: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.p...ge-2#post-6971

Comment

Originally posted by KBentley57 View Post
                    Has anyone tried the TF2 beta? I just got my invite today, and tried installing it just to see how it ran on my pc. Every time I try to open it, I get a black screen with a movable mouse cursor, then it crashes back to the desktop. I haven't tried any other games as of yet. Running 12.10 x64
                    Works great here with Intel HD 4000 graphics and Trisquel GNU/Linux.

Well, FPS could be higher, but it is playable if you set graphics options a little bit down from "full max everything".

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

Running fine here on Radeon HD 6970 with FOSS drivers. A few graphical glitches here and there, but I'll bet they are gone if I update drivers (kernel + newest mesa from git).

Comment

Working...
                      X