• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you miss in current DEs?

Comment

got it too, no time to game but hey, I'm a data point

Comment

Congratulations to everyone who got an invite, I also got one today :-D

I'm surprised to be honest. I thought I would never get one because I selected "other" as distribution, and I even have "archlinux" in my username.
        Well, lucky me I guess :-)

Comment

Yeah I think they're quite happy to send invites to anyone now. If you're on a non-Ubuntu OS, you should still report bugs as well, they said.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            Yeah I think they're quite happy to send invites to anyone now. If you're on a non-Ubuntu OS, you should still report bugs as well, they said.
            I will do that of course :-)

Comment

TF2 beta

Has anyone tried the TF2 beta? I just got my invite today, and tried installing it just to see how it ran on my pc. Every time I try to open it, I get a black screen with a movable mouse cursor, then it crashes back to the desktop. I haven't tried any other games as of yet. Running 12.10 x64

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Based on my experience with the beta, I fear that many of us who are into gaming will be stuck with Windows for quite a time into the future, unfortunately.

Mostly due to a lack of games and the plain fact that Linux desktop environments are absolutely abysmal in every way. (And I know that everybody insists, "You can just use a different DE!", but people don't seem to realize that they all suck. Bad.)
                I disagree.. KDE 3.X was absolutely great and KDE 4.8+ is great as well. Everything in the middle... Well.... Let's just say I stuck with KDE 3.X, plugged my ears, covered my eyes and held my nose until KDE 4.8+ came out... PHEW! At least the worst part is over! Hopefully no more major "upgrades" for a while.

Also, Ubuntu's Unity runs great on my netbook.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Mostly due to a lack of games and the plain fact that Linux desktop environments are absolutely abysmal in every way. (And I know that everybody insists, "You can just use a different DE!", but people don't seem to realize that they all suck. Bad.)
                    They suck much less than utter crap like os x and winblows. Just played Serious Sam 3 in KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by KBentley57 View Post
                      Has anyone tried the TF2 beta? I just got my invite today, and tried installing it just to see how it ran on my pc. Every time I try to open it, I get a black screen with a movable mouse cursor, then it crashes back to the desktop. I haven't tried any other games as of yet. Running 12.10 x64
                      Try running TF2 with the -nojoy flag in the launch options. It doesn't like controllers being plugged in. Worked for me anyway. I have a wireless 360 controller and the game would tank just like you're describing every time.

Comment

Working...
                      X