Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Lights Up The GK106 Kepler

Phoronix: Nouveau Lights Up The GK106 Kepler

Red Hat's Ben Skeggs pushed out new code this morning into the Nouveau DRM driver repository. In addition to some video BIOS work and other changes, initial support for the NVIDIA GK106 GPU was pushed into this reverse-engineered open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nou what ?

As if someone was going to buy a $200+ graphics card and not be able to use it properly...

Comment

Glad to hear that. I'm looking at a 660 myself. Will wait until there are UE4 games out, but so far they seem to be a pretty good deal overall.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Glad to hear that. I'm looking at a 660 myself. Will wait until there are UE4 games out, but so far they seem to be a pretty good deal overall.
        Nouveau still sucks on newer GPUs, so you'll have to use the NVIDIA driver... then it becomes irrelevant to this news. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          Nouveau still sucks on newer GPUs, so you'll have to use the NVIDIA driver... then it becomes irrelevant to this news. 8)
          No, if KMS and displaying things on screen works, it means that it's already as good as Poulsbo drivers at this point. Which is usable. I'd also imagine that Nouveau is more stable even at this point, compared to the blob.

Comment

Depends what you want to do, but if you want to play games with nouveau I advise getting a 9800GTX (which works well with nouveau, see the recent benchmark)... Using a OSS driver on a recent GPU is almost never worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
              As if someone was going to buy a $200+ graphics card and not be able to use it properly...
              I have purchased 6800GT for 180€ and donated it to nouveau project. Now, you can use this card properly.

Depends what you want to do, but if you want to play games with nouveau I advise getting a 9800GTX (which works well with nouveau, see the recent benchmark)... Using a OSS driver on a recent GPU is almost never worth it.
              Not 9800GTX, but 55nm 260sp216 or 275 or 285 GTX.
              9800GTX is very inefficient.

The main problem with newer chips AFAIK is absent reclocking code, which restricts performance to idle speeds. Newer GPUs idle at much lower Hz, this is why the performance is abysmal for now.

So... if you think correctly, your best bet is to get pre7xxx radeon, use opensource driver, donate 10% to radeon developers and for another 10% buy low-entry nvidia 6xx model and donate it to nouveau developers.
              This is absolutely best thing to do.
              Last edited by crazycheese; 12 December 2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

"I have purchased 6800GT for 180€ and donated it to nouveau project. Now, you can use this card properly."

A 9800GTX is 3 times faster and cheaper, and more recent... why use old GPUs? Also, it can be reclocked, like all other 9xxx NVIDIA GPUs, AFAIK.

"So... if you think correctly, your best bet is to get pre7xxx radeon, use opensource driver, donate 10% to radeon developers and for another 10% buy low-entry nvidia 6xx model and donate it to nouveau developers.
                This is absolutely best thing to do."

AMD GPUs are only good for getting other GPUs. They overheat and they don't work. And, loldonating. *drops gamepad*
                Last edited by Calinou; 13 December 2012, 08:16 AM.

Comment

"I have purchased 6800GT for 180? and donated it to nouveau project. Now, you can use this card properly."

A 9800GTX is 3 times faster and cheaper, and more recent... why use old GPUs? Also, it can be reclocked, like all other 9xxx NVIDIA GPUs, AFAIK.
                  Because 9800GTX was not produced in 2004.
                  And after 2009 I purchased 4670, then 9800GT, then 4770 and now GTX260.

Why the hell should I use 6800GT or 9800GTX?

9800GTX is 9800GT on steroids - hot, slow and huge. Even 5770 beats it. It belongs in antique.

"So... if you think correctly, your best bet is to get pre7xxx radeon, use opensource driver, donate 10% to radeon developers and for another 10% buy low-entry nvidia 6xx model and donate it to nouveau developers.
                  This is absolutely best thing to do."

AMD GPUs are only good for getting other GPUs. They overheat and they don't work.
                  AMD GPUs are usually better than Nvidia equivalents and more recent ones are much better, because they are universal GPUs. They are much less restricted to gaming.
                  Their only trouble is VLIW design, which requires good drivers to utilize the card fully.

Also, G80/92/200 are HD4xxx era GPUs.
                  You cant recommend 2008 GPU today.

And granted, you want to go opensource, you would go AMD, because it clocks way better and is way better supported.
                  But if you want to stay with nvidia, you need to donate to nouveau team!!

And, loldonating. *drops gamepad*
                  *picks the gamepad and punches it down your throat*
                  Have a nice day.

Comment

"AMD GPUs are usually better than Nvidia equivalents and more recent ones are much better, because they are universal GPUs. They are much less restricted to gaming."

"But if you want to stay with nvidia, you need to donate to nouveau team!!"
                    I have no spare NVIDIA GPU, too. :P

Comment

Working...
                    X