Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Ivy Bridge Acceleration Of UXA vs. SNA

Phoronix: Intel Ivy Bridge Acceleration Of UXA vs. SNA

It's been a few months since last delivering any Intel SNA acceleration architecture benchmarks but with all of the many recent xf86-video-intel 2.20.x driver releases, here's some new benchmarks comparing the UXA and SNA acceleration back-ends for Intel's Ivy Bridge hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Turning on SNA for any supported Intel HD graphics hardware generation is as easy as setting the "AccelMethod" option within the xorg.conf configuration file to "SNA" as its value.
    Seeing instructions like this just makes me depressed. A person should not have to hand edit files when it comes to graphic options. Even an ncurses config app would be an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Seeing instructions like this just makes me depressed. A person should not have to hand edit files when it comes to graphic options. Even an ncurses config app would be an improvement.
      driconf, obviously. Though, I don't know if it was patched to support SNA Accelmethod.

Comment

Seeing instructions like this just makes me depressed. A person should not have to hand edit files when it comes to graphic options.
        It will become the default once it is ready to become the default. Usually there is a reason it is not the default.

As a normal user you wouldn't change your ddx acceleration anyway, would you?

The better method by the way is creating a file
        /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
        with
        Code:
        Section "Device"
           Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
           Driver      "intel"
           Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
        EndSection
        For some reason this is probably going to interfere with prime.

You could also compile xf86-video-intel with --with-default-accel=sna so you won't have to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          It will become the default once it is ready to become the default. Usually there is a reason it is not the default.

As a normal user you wouldn't change your ddx acceleration anyway, would you?

The better method by the way is creating a file
          /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
          with
          Code:
          Section "Device"
             Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
             Driver      "intel"
             Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
          EndSection
          For some reason this is probably going to interfere with prime.

You could also compile xf86-video-intel with --with-default-accel=sna so you won't have to do anything.
          To change graphics options, a person should not have to fart around with text based entries, period. Old sax2 in suse used to provide a simple manageable gui that would create the entries in xorg.conf, all you had to do is fire up the gui, select the option you wanted and restart x. Bang, done.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            driconf, obviously. Though, I don't know if it was patched to support SNA Accelmethod.
            A good configuration system should detect the new options and offer the available and applicable Boolean options. SaX2 did this and didn't require patching every time a new option was put into a driver.

Last edited by deanjo; 06 December 2012, 08:21 PM.

Comment

A good configuration system should detect the new options and offer the available and applicable Boolean options. SaX2 did this and didn't require patching every time a new option was put into a driver.
              This is an extension, the primary cfg is set in text files with is the right way. "Detect" thing will fail in several cases, although its a good one. It still needs maintenance.
              Everything you wrote is non-exclusively correct, lets find a guy who implements it. :P

Comment

INTEL MAKE THIS THE DEFAULT

signed: everyone who uses intel gfx

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  This is an extension, the primary cfg is set in text files with is the right way. "Detect" thing will fail in several cases, although its a good one. It still needs maintenance.
                  Well I've been "maintaining" old SaX2 for my own usage and it still works extremely well for detecting the driver options without having to do anything to the detection code. The point is that in a modern operating system, a person should not have to be forced to hand editing files to enable features on a primary subsystem. I'm not saying to eliminate the option of hand editing but a gui should accommodate enabling of the features in a end user friendly way. It's just minor things like having to hand edit the config files that keep people away from linux.

Comment

For people not using opensuse, what happened to their conf tool? A short history on why this superior tool is no longer maintained would be useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X